Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
shyanntech
traveling by car and airplane
July 2, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Next mo we are going on a 3 day car trip to see my mom and dad.. and then my grandma. anyway im looking for things to keep a 10 year old and a 4 year old bussy in the back seat of the car as we are driving down. then what ever i make or take got to be able to fly home with us.. help would be good thank you dvd players are out.. one i dont have much money to go on this trip. all most of its been payed for by my mom and dad..

Replies

• kmath
    by kmath
    July 2, 2013 at 6:58 PM

There are all kinds of portable car games that are really cheap and small enough to fit into a backpack.  Road trip Bingo is always fun and you can make your own boards.  Here is just one of many websites with all kinds of games and activity ideas.  http://www.momsminivan.com/

• kirbymom
    July 2, 2013 at 9:10 PM
    You can get some scrap paper, crayons, pencils, pens and some coloring books to color on the way and make pictures for grandma and grandpa. You our can also have them play the game, I spy. Maybe bring a few books that they both can read. Some songs for everyone.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    July 2, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Audio books are great. If you can find one that you can get color pages that go with it as well as word searches & mazes that could keep them busy for a while.

• debramommyof4
    July 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM

My nephew and I who are 10 years apart would look for and count the many different colors of cars.  So we would see who could find 20 blue cars and then switch.

I take workbooks and they have some cool geography ones for the US.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    July 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM

color books

baggies of some kinda snack

car games like counting how many red cars we see etc

what about those plastic army or cowboys for the younger child?use baggies to keep them in,

on the plane they have stuff like playing cards, snacks, coloring stuff(well they use to anyway!)

• hipmomto3
    July 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Audio books if you have a CD player in the car or have an Ipod or something where you can transfer it to that. You can get them from the library. We love the Ramona books read by Stockard Channing, and The Magician's Nephew done by family theater.

Coloring books. Empty notebooks and washable markers. When we go on cross-country trips we have one brown paper sack (stapled shut) for the kids to open each morning. It's full of snacks and $ store type toys - that's their loot for the day. (We drive from Indiana to California, and back, most years.)

Maybe you can borrow a portable DVD player from a friend or family member? They are very handy for passing time in the car!

• KickButtMama
    July 3, 2013 at 5:59 PM

This is what we did when we drove to OH one year. We loved listening to books on the MP3

Quoting usmom3:

Audio books are great. If you can find one that you can get color pages that go with it as well as word searches & mazes that could keep them busy for a while.

• celticdragon77
    July 3, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I thought drawing notebooks, ipads and toys would help my kids... nothing does. We do a 24hr trip from Pa to Tx (and vice versa) every year - if not more than once a year. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN