Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
CowgirlMama0508
Burnt out...ready to send them back to PS
July 2, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Please no bashing.

We took the kids out in march. Have been homeschooling since. My 7 year old has been awful ever since, when I say awful...I mean her overall attitude has gone downhill. She doesn't listen at all, my once very gentle and calm daughter is now very hateful and defiant. When it comes time for schoolwork...holy cow. She screams, cries and downright does not listen. I will sit with her and repeat the question (for example) and then go back and read where she can find the answer (or show her, depends on the subject...I never outright GIVE her the answer but show her an example of how to get it) and she will sit there for 15-20 minutes crying throwing this huge temper tantrum on how she doesn't understand.
My 5 year old is doing the same thing..not wanting to do ANYTHING. What should take us a few hours to complete, has (more then once) taken well into bedtime to get done. I've tried scheduling, I've tried relaxed, we've taken breaks, we've taken field trips, we've tried putting our pencil down..taking 5 deep breaths and trying again. They keep saying they want to go back, they cry because they miss their friends (we've joined a homeschool group, but they aren't very active, I've tried to get in touch with some moms with absolutely no luck)

Idk what to do. I'm ready to send them back to PS. This is making my life more stressful than it already is (my husband is gone 2 straight weeks a month and home 2 straight weeks a month) the stress is affecting my marriage too. We have tried everything and nothing is working. Would it make me a bad mom to send them back? LOL

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    July 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM

great advice here!! let us know what you decide cowgirl,

• onetoknow4
    July 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM

(((((( Hugs!!! )))))   I have had some of the same behavior from my son and daughter.  I have two sons, two daughters.  The daughters are the oldest, (14,11) and the sons (9,7).  My 14yo daughter likes school, and has few minor issues, the younges 7yo son likes school--well, lets just say the teacher/parent partnering method didn't seem as though it was working.  The 11yo daughter has dyslexia, major tantrums, and is an A/B student. The 9yo son is a straight A student, likes school, and aside from 1 or 2 squabbles at recess between students, is doing well.  I took the 9yo son, and the 11yo daughter, and withdrew them from the school.  I had to give them an assurance letter of intent to homeschool, but did so with EASE!!  The PS is alright for some, and no bashing from me.  However, for the three I mentioned, HS is better at least for now.  There is so much confidence and pluses in being the person my children are learning from,  It is so natural!!  Although I will say this... Beginning to HS without the children ever being exposed to the building and schedules is the key.  ( if possible)  If I could change things, I would have chosen to HS from K-until.

Thanks ladies-- for the confidence builders, the support, and more importantly, the deals, and how-to about certain things.  It accelerates the new learner-- and is a help.

• CJsMommy040506
    July 4, 2013 at 2:08 AM

I'm nervous after reading this! I'll be starting our first year with a 5 and 7 year old too. Everyone has given such great advice. If they immediately starting homeschooling from PS then definately a break. I'm going into this dedicating a year. I've read the first year can be very hard so I know I need to give it atleast that amount of time.  If the entire year goes terrible I'd entertain the idea of PS again but since my son was constantly disturbing the class and missing recess, it would be hard to do. Maybe more activities for them to do? I'm a bit worried about them making friends. Check into other groups.  We moved to a new town (30 miles away) a few weeks ago so we don't have friends anyway. We've been to two actitivies with a new homeschool group and the funny thing is, my 7 year old is much more antisocial around people he doesn't know than the homeschooled kids are.

• celticdragon77
    July 4, 2013 at 2:25 AM

hugsYou are NOT a bad mom if you decide to send your kids to public school. Education is important. However, the kids have to be be open to homeschooling. Homeschooling should NOT be at the cost of your sanity, your marriage, or the family units happiness...

• celticdragon77
    July 4, 2013 at 2:29 AM

This is good advice.

Quoting kmath:

You have to do what is best for your family.  If that is putting the kids back in PS, then that doesn't make you a bad mom at all.  It makes you a mom who knows and loves her kids and is doing what is best for them.

I agree with the PP's though, take a break and re-evaluate the whole process.  They have only been out since March and you guys just haven't found your groove yet.  Spend the summer playing and being a family and try again in a couple of months. 

Whatever you decide, you will know you are doing the best thing for your family.  Good luck Mama!

• acrogodess
    July 4, 2013 at 2:35 AM

I am giving myself one more year. Ds is slightly behind grade level, but it is no difference than when he was in public school. He is happier though because he is not being bullied anymore. He had his meds switched from Concerta to Ritalin and the Ritalin gave him side effects we didn't like so I stopped his meds until I can switch him back, but it affected his ability to focus. If I can get him to catch up once he is on his Concerta, I will continue to homeschool. If not, I will place him back into public school and hold him back a year so he can catch up.

Dd loves being homeschooled she is finishing up her 4th grade year and already working on some 5th and 6th grade work.

You need to know what you can handle and what the family can handle. If things feel more stressful and there were no issues in public school the way I had with mine, then go ahead and send them back. You sound concerned so I know you will monitor their grades and homework to see they are on point. Do what you feel is best for yourself, your kids and your marriage.

fingers crossedwishing you all the best

• celticdragon77
    July 4, 2013 at 2:38 AM

I apologize to op, I know this is a bit off topic, and I don't know that it adds anything to the convo, but I agree with Autymsmommy on this. I also do not believe that all children are "natural learners" and not everyone believes that a child should lead the way with their educations. Out of three kids, I only have one natural learner, and none that should lead their educations. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

*gently*

Not all children are natural learners and not all children have the natural desire or drive to learn with no direction/guidance/structure. My eldest is one of those.

The OP knows her children best. If she can honestly separate herself from being "mom" for a second, step back and analyze how her children learn, and if that leads her to determine that they WOULD be a good fit for child led, that's one thing, but I think it's really stretching it to assert that *all* children have the natural desire and drive to learn. Children are unique beings and never *always* fit into one category or another.

Quoting usmom3:

They are so young I suggest taking a child led learning approach for the next year ( don't worry about them falling behind because catching up really doesn't take as long as we have been led to believe it dose). The desire to learn is natural & all children have it, you just have to let them be the guide to the learning & you be the facilitator. 

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    July 9, 2013 at 11:58 PM

cowgirl, how are you doing?

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts