Homeschooling Moms

shamrock_momma
preschool thoughts?
July 2, 2013 at 9:11 AM
I'm sure this one has been covered before, but..... I'm going to ask anyway lol.

Do any of you have a preschool program that you love? My lo is 3 and has decided he wants to do school too when my oldest starts back up. He already recognizes most letters and numbers up to 10, knows his colors, and is learning the ABC song.

He wants to do coloring, cutting, and crafty stuff. I thought about a letter of the week program, but I don't know anyone who has used it. I also though about going to Sam's Club and buying one of those comprehensive curriculum books for pre-k.

Honestly, I'm lost. I think I'm trying to make this way harder than I need to. My oldest didn't do preschool so I have zero experience with it. I could use some of your creative and brilliant ideas. :) Thanks in advance.

Replies

• hipmomto3
    July 2, 2013 at 9:58 AM

perpetualpreschool.com is great if you do unit studies. 

I think some cheap workbooks, a box of markers, some scissors, glue, and a pack of construction paper are about all you'd need to buy. :)

My kids really liked the Kumon cutting books. 

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    July 2, 2013 at 10:49 AM

good morning shamrock!!

my preschool curr is arts and crafts! we do those till round 5 or 6 whenever they are ready to start learning phonics and such(each one was ready at a different time).  i use library books, internet now, to find different stuff, we learn colors, letters, numbers, songs, math, etc from doing them.

good idea for using one of those pre-k if hes ready,

we play, learn songs, dance, i read to them,  more play, stalk bugs , go on hikes, pick berries, cook, play in the sprinkler also! lots of hands on stuff.

• mem82
    by mem82
    July 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    I have never used a curriculum, either. My soon to be 4 year old will be doing some light preschool stuff this year. I'm still trying to decide where to go with it.
  • Bleacheddecay
    July 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I think a workbook with pages he can do might fit the bill. He might enjoy that.

I also like Five in a Row, (or in this case, before five in a row), with the books being gotten from the library rather than bought.

http://fiveinarow.com/

• KickButtMama
    July 2, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I started home educating loosely when my kids were toddlers. I used www.letteroftheweek.com and just went with what the child found fun!

• debramommyof4
    July 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM

We used Cullen's ABC's and workbooks from walmart and Sam's club.  This year we are just fiddling with it.

• shamrock_momma
    July 3, 2013 at 7:58 AM
    Lots of good ideas! Thank you!
  • Bluecalm
    July 3, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    I just checked out this site and it has a lot of cute ideas. I've been trying to decide what to do with my 3 year old, and I'm going to try the lessons for 2-4 year olds. I think my 6 year old would enjoy some of it too.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I started home educating loosely when my kids were toddlers. I used www.letteroftheweek.com and just went with what the child found fun!

Homeschooling Moms