Homeschooling Moms

rosiemarie
What is your reason...
July 1, 2013 at 8:04 AM
I am a mom of 2 dd and live in nj. Before kids i was a teacher public school teacher in NY. Funny thing is that I do not think I could ever teach my own children!!

We do not home school. We don't know anyone who does as I do not think it is common practice where I live.

So, I was wondering what are your reason for homeschooling?

Replies

• TJandKarasMom
    July 2, 2013 at 10:30 PM
    It's the same in my state. But not really anything until high school. Middle school offers a little bit of "leveled" type classes, but not much until 7th grade, and lots more at high school.

OP-I started considering hsing when my son was in 2nd grade and his teacher flat out refused to have any different expectations for him than the other students, he is advanced and she refused to do anything to foster that. His K and 1st grade teachers were AWESOME. Always encouraging him to work harder and learn more. But his 2nd grade teacher would not do anything that required more effort on her part, and the principal backed her up completely.

My kids are now entering 5th and 6th grades and I have really realized that I can provide the best education for them. So we will be starting this fall.

And about the common core....I worked in a public school for the past 5 years, and was working on my MEd, this is a HUGE reason I am pulling my kids out. The common core is dumbing down sooo much. I also watched teachers becoming completely obsessed with ccss and not caring so much about teaching the kids but more about how to make sure they could align everything with ccss. I also, through my research for my degree, found lots of gaps in the standards and just a lot of stuff I did not agree with. I don't think I can teach in ps now, and I don't want my kids learning much of it and there is a lot being left out that I do want them to learn.

I may be a bit of a conspiracy theorist...but my husband makes the most sense by saying that a theory is a theory, if there is a way to disprove it, then why isn't someone disproving it? I don't think it's worth the risk to keep my kids in the system like they are, I think they can learn more and become better, more productive people if I can tailor their education to fit them.

Quoting kmath:I don't know that DS is gifted, just easily bored.  They don't have anything here until third grade and that isn't even very much.  It isn't until high school that they can really branch out.
    Quoting Beebella:To the moms that say their kids were too advanced, did your public schools have gifted and talented programs?

• bren_darlene
    July 2, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I have home educated for 20 yrs. When I first began this journey I mainly did it because I wanted to be with them I loved and missed them so much. I then realized that by home educating they were protected physically, morally, and emotionally. They were also receiving a much better education and were around "real life" more. All but my youngest has now graduated.

• bren_darlene
    July 3, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Just wondering why you were interested in joining a homeschool group?

Quoting rosiemarie:

No I do not think so.  I was a teacher for many years but do not think I could teach my own!  I know werd right!

Quoting oredeb:

are you interested in homeschooling rosiemarie?

• 101stwife
    July 3, 2013 at 12:51 AM

This was our first full year home schooling. I pulled out my two 5th grade sons right after Christmas vacation. One of their teachers tried to tell me that he didn't know how to read and any time I tried to tell him that I knew that wasn't the case because he read to me out of his oldest brother's Star Wars novel every night the teacher basically told me I was lying and had no idea what I was talking about. It really ticked me off that at teacher who only knew him for a short period of time was telling me that I didn't know my own child. When I tried to show him his previous report cards with good grades he ignored me. My son was not happy, and I was not happy. I finally decided to pull my two sons from 5th grade. My oldest son was in 8th grade and doing well so he stayed in public school. My younger son's teacher told me it was the biggest mistake have ever made by choosing to take him out to home school because I couldn't possibly teach him. He said that he went to school to be a teacher and I was "just a stay at home mom". I not so politely told him that I CHOOSE to be a stay at home mom because my husband is in the Army and we felt like it was best for our kids to have a parent at home. However, I went to college and hold degrees and could be working in a Forensics lab right now if I wanted to. He really ticked me off by acting as if because I was "only a mom" meant that I was incapable of teaching my kids.

After a month of having him at home the school allowed me to bring him back in for a Lexile reading test and surprise! He was reading above grade level. We then moved and the schools here in California are awful. Awful in academics and generally trashy. My oldest does K12 online because the highschool is an hour away and awful and the other 2 boys and now my soon to be kindergartener are traditionally home schooled.

I do not plan to put them back into public school, there are too many positives that I have found with home school. The boys have thrived being at home and being able to work at their own pace. So, if they are flying through some things or need extra focus on others we have the ability to do that.

• JKronrod
    July 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I like the comments about a "one-size-fits-all."  We started home schooling because our oldest son was advanced, but also couldn't stay still for more than about 20 minutes at a time.  (He's in college now -- a rising senior at University of California, Merced.)  We also wanted to make sure that our children spoke multiple languages (for us it was Spanish and Japanese, as well as English).  You can't easily do that if your kids are in public school all day.   

Homeschooling Moms