Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
kirbymom
The Art of Failure ??? ....
June 29, 2013 at 2:54 PM
..... Do you teach your child(ren) how to fail? Or rather, do you teach your child that it isn't about failing as much as t is about picking yourself up and trying again and then again and again until you can not only get back up, but stand up by yourself?

How do you handle teaching failuer to your child(ren)?

Replies

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    June 29, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Yes, I do.  I have always told them it is not how well you do but how hard you work.  Attitude is everything.  When I first started taking karate I fell flat on my but when I tried doing a jumping side kick.  I got right back up and tried it a gain.  I think what they see us doing is the most important.  I don't ask them to do anything that I am not willing to do.    Whenever they become discouraged I tell them a personal story.  It helps them to know how I have overcome challenges.  I also comment on their hard work.  My youngest had a horrible time learning to read.   He is doing great now with his reading.  Whenever he has a hard time doing something I remind him  how hard a time he had  learning to read and how his hard work has paid off.  Sometimes even tell my youngest  a story from when he was young.  He wanted to walk very badly.  Around 9 months old he would hold onto something and practice standing.  His legs would wobble and then he would grab onto something but he never gave up.  Then finally around 10 months his hard work paid off and he could stand and take his first steps.  Sometimes they would ask me to retell a story I have told them before.  It helps to know  how we handle failure.  I think it is sometimes more important how we handle our failure rather than our successes.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    June 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM

My karate instructor's favorite saying  is fake it until you make it.  Here is cute pic I had to share.  

• kirbymom
    June 29, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    I so agree with your statement of it being as or more important HOW we handle failure as it is how we handle success. That being said, I believe that we need our mistakes and failure to know when we ARE doing something right. If we never had any mistakes or failures then we would never know the times we did do something right/good.

Quoting jen2150:

Yes, I do.  I have always told them it is not how well you do but how hard you work.  Attitude is everything.  When I first started taking karate I fell flat on my but when I tried doing a jumping side kick.  I got right back up and tried it a gain.  I think what they see us doing is the most important.  I don't ask them to do anything that I am not willing to do.    Whenever they become discouraged I tell them a personal story.  It helps them to know how I have overcome challenges.  I also comment on their hard work.  My youngest had a horrible time learning to read.   He is doing great now with his reading.  Whenever he has a hard time doing something I remind him  how hard a time he had  learning to read and how his hard work has paid off.  Sometimes even tell my youngest  a story from when he was young.  He wanted to walk very badly.  Around 9 months old he would hold onto something and practice standing.  His legs would wobble and then he would grab onto something but he never gave up.  Then finally around 10 months his hard work paid off and he could stand and take his first steps.  Sometimes they would ask me to retell a story I have told them before.  It helps to know  how we handle failure.  I think it is sometimes more important how we handle our failure rather than our successes.

• kirbymom
    June 29, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    Ahahahahahaa - That is so cute. Thank you for sharing that. :)

Quoting jen2150:

My karate instructor's favorite saying  is fake it until you make it.  Here is cute pic I had to share.  

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    June 29, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I teach that failure is a part of learning and just to keep trying.  I think piano (or other instrument) lessons are a great way to teach this never-give-up attitude. On the other hand, I also teach that doing something the same way will just produce the same results, so some thinking has to be involved to change something to turn the failure into a success.

• kirbymom
    June 29, 2013 at 6:47 PM
    Quoting lucsch:

I teach that failure is a part of learning and just to keep trying.  I think piano (or other instrument) lessons are a great way to teach this never-give-up attitude. On the other hand,

I also teach that doing something the same way will just produce the same results, so some thinking has to be involved to change something to turn the failure into a success.

I agree!!
  • QueenCreole313
    June 30, 2013 at 7:48 AM

I try so hard, but my son is a major perfectionist. You would think I beat him or something if he gets answers wrong or isn't good at something. I've always told him that all I want him to do is his BEST. We are still working on this. It's a process. 

• brennan5882300
    June 30, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Thanks for bringing this up!  I needed the reminder.  My younger son only likes doing things that he's good at, and  I'm struggling with motivating him.  I'm spoiled in this respect by my older son who is willing to work hard at just about anything.

• kirbymom
    June 30, 2013 at 8:34 PM
    OMG! My oldest is that way! Even now at 17, she is STILL like this. lol My 10 year old is starting to go down this road. gah. I hope with her it is just a phase.

Quoting QueenCreole313:

I try so hard, but my son is a major perfectionist. You would think I beat him or something if he gets answers wrong or isn't good at something. I've always told him that all I want him to do is his BEST. We are still working on this. It's a process. 

• kirbymom
    June 30, 2013 at 8:40 PM
    You are quite welcome. :) Homeschooling is not just about academics in my opinion. Homeschooling encompasses all aspects of life at home and out in public. When we parents/moms teach our children, we bring our whole selves into our teaching. Therefore it stands to reason this type of post wouldbe apart of this group.. :)

Quoting brennan5882300:

Thanks for bringing this up!  I needed the reminder.  My younger son only likes doing things that he's good at, and  I'm struggling with motivating him.  I'm spoiled in this respect by my older son who is willing to work hard at just about anything.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts