Homeschooling Moms

unsuspected
$$ How much do you spend on curriculum? $$
June 29, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Per child?  All together?

This is my first year and my head is spinning!

Replies

• debramommyof4
    June 29, 2013 at 2:27 AM

I think I spent about 100 total on my 4 early elementary kids this year, but we are going with something else now.  SO it may not have been worth it.

• unsuspected
    June 29, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Quoting debramommyof4:

I think I spent about 100 total on my 4 early elementary kids this year, but we are going with something else now.  SO it may not have been worth it.

How did you manage that?

• celticdragon77
    June 29, 2013 at 2:56 AM

I spent a lot this year so far and I have no clue how people do it for so cheap. I have a budget of $3,000 every year - books, misc materials, ink, field trips, piano lessons, art classes at the college... 

I wish someone would start a group just for living cheap as a homeschooler. Not just homeschooling related - but recipes and the etc. Because I SOOO need to learn how to live cheaper!! I get by, but not as well as I would like. Times like these, I wish I had a mom... or even a friend that was frugal. Being a newly single mom of three that works ft and homeschools... it isn't easy. I could use all the help I can get. 

BTW, your siggy is very awesome and true!!

• debramommyof4
    June 29, 2013 at 3:38 AM
    I bought my 6 and 7 year olds the complete curriculum workbooks. To use to supplement everything else.

For math the oldest 2 were going to work through the Khan Academy website.

I use education.com for my preschoolers mat. They are 3 and 4.

For lit my 7 year old is still going to read The Chronicles of Narnia ( all 7 books), Where the side Walkends, and the Phantom Tollbooth. She may also read the little house on the prairie series if we have time. I had those books in hand or the local library has them. There are lesson plans online for most of the books.

I bought the younger kids a classic story book with 100 stories for 9 dollars at Barnes and noble. We will get lesson plans off the internet for those also.

For history we already had the magic tree house books and there are lesson plans online so we were going to use those.

My husband bought me the Magic School Bus DVD set when it was on sale. It ended up being under 50 dollars and using that as a basis we were going to research and perform experiments to go along with the episodes.

We were going to use spelling city for spelling and I was given all kinds of websites for grammmer.

I also found some free websites for languages, so we were going to do that.

Quoting unsuspected:

Quoting debramommyof4:

How did you manage that?

• JadeTigr7
    June 29, 2013 at 6:53 AM

I use boxed curriculum because I have five kids and no time or want to put anything together myself.  It takes enough time even with the boxed curriculum to set everything up as it is.

So, I will have 4 doing school this year, by each student it varies, but we'll be spending about $1050 on four children doing school, in the grades of 4th, 3rd, K and preK. 

• Bluecalm
    June 29, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    I'd like a frugal homeschooling group too. I just retired from teaching and I need to learn to live on less. My biggest expense is groceries so I'd love some good tips on meal planning. I've been going to the grocery store 2-3 times a week and am spending double my food budget. Next year I want to have a garden again like we used to. My mom made everything from scratch and I want to get back to that. I got in the habit of buying alot of convenience foods.

Quoting celticdragon77:

I spent a lot this year so far and I have no clue how people do it for so cheap. I have a budget of $3,000 every year - books, misc materials, ink, field trips, piano lessons, art classes at the college... 

I wish someone would start a group just for living cheap as a homeschooler. Not just homeschooling related - but recipes and the etc. Because I SOOO need to learn how to live cheaper!! I get by, but not as well as I would like. Times like these, I wish I had a mom... or even a friend that was frugal. Being a newly single mom of three that works ft and homeschools... it isn't easy. I could use all the help I can get. 

• mem82
    by mem82
    June 29, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    You ladies should check out Fruglistas group. It has great advice.

Quoting Bluecalm:

I'd like a frugal homeschooling group too. I just retired from teaching and I need to learn to live on less. My biggest expense is groceries so I'd love some good tips on meal planning. I've been going to the grocery store 2-3 times a week and am spending double my food budget. Next year I want to have a garden again like we used to. My mom made everything from scratch and I want to get back to that. I got in the habit of buying alot of convenience foods.

Quoting celticdragon77:

• NYCitymomx3
    June 29, 2013 at 8:50 AM

My ds is going into 7th grade.  I chose to piece a curriculum together myself using what I know works for him.  The total cost of his books and programs comes out to about $680 (English: $102, Math: $78, History/Geog: $95, Science: $160, Online computer course: $145, and supplies: $100).

Then there's parkour, basketball, CCD, field trips, and homeschool group classes which will add about another $1200 to the year.

• mem82
    by mem82
    June 29, 2013 at 8:54 AM
    I have spent under $75 so far on my older two. Missie is a rising 7th grader and Cole is a rising 3rd grader. I bought the first 4 books of The History of US, volume 1 of the History of the World, math textbook and work book for both of them and Science text books for both. There are a few other random workbooks for things like grammar. Half Price Books and Ebay are your friends. 8)
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    June 29, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Every year is a little different.  i have a 4th and 6th grader.

Math: $150 for teaching textbooks.  One time investment.  I can sell it for almost what I have paid for it.

Science: about $42 for an online curriculum which includes physics for my older son.

Writing and English:  $60 for write shop.  It is for both of them and covers  writing and grammar.

I probably spend about $200 for living books and workbooks on amazon.  I spend the most on living books.  I could spend less but I prefer to spend for quality over cost.  I found some great ways to save money.  I think there is a delicate balance between quality and how much you spend.  I use a lot of free things and resources but only if they are high quality.  This year I would  I say I spend around $500 for two boys.  I wouldn't spend a whole lot the first year until you find out what works for your children.

Homeschooling Moms