Homeschooling Moms

Pumamama
doctor appointment, sick, stuff to do, who watches the kids
June 26, 2013 at 11:40 PM

some of you may already be getting sick of my posts about starting off on the homeschool life, but my biggest fear is not getting down time and time for my physical therapy. I haven't family near by and babysitters are hard to hold onto if you don't promise a lot of regular hours...my husband has been out of work and just got hired...yay...but the reality of being on my own is hitting me more and more...and the enormity of the responsibility. Maybe it's because I'm on the third day of recovering from a stomach bug, but I'm thinking, "what would I do if I had to watch the boomies all by myself right now?" God help us all.

Any inspirational stories out there? Anyone else get cold feet?

Replies

• kmath
    by kmath
    June 27, 2013 at 1:26 AM

I am on my own with this.  I am a single mom.  If I get sick, I'll still have to take care of DS, if I have an appt, he will have to go with me.  My down time is after he goes to bed or when he actually goes to his dad's house.  I guess none of those things really bother me because that is how it has always been.  I've never had a second set of hands helping out so I don't see that aspect of homeschooling as a challenge. 

You'll get use to it.  You'll learn what can slack when you aren't feeling 100% and what still needs to get done.  I don't know how old your kids are, but even at a younger age they can start helping out with household chores. 

• Jinx-Troublex3
    June 27, 2013 at 2:09 AM
    I'm lucky DH is off Sun-Tues. If I have appointments just for me I do them those days. When the kids were young they just went everywhere with me. DH has always worked nights and slept in Tue day so all kids go all the time. You just get used to it.

Now the kids are older,(10,12 1/2,15) I can leave any of them home while DH sleeps and have no problem leaving the boys home when he is gone.

DD is still young enough she goes most places with me. Like tomorrow, it is 1 1/2 yes each way to drop DH off at work. I will leave the boys home, they have a list of friends, neighbors and relatives to call in an emergency and DD will go with me. 1) Cuz I don't like leaving her home and 2) she gets me in the carpool lane LOL

We also have a protection trained German Shepherd who will watch over the boys.
  • celticdragon77
    June 27, 2013 at 3:03 AM

I am a single ft working parent of three kids. When I get sick, we all take it easy. My kids have been taught to do many independent tasks. I keep things onhand for quick, easy, no-mess meals. I have activities that they can do ONLY for when I NEED them to stay busy (usually while I am sick). As for appts, they all tag along usually. 

However, I do have a 17yr that is somewhat able to help. Though I try not to allow her - unless I compensate her for it. It is not her place to be a parent.  

I have ZERO family and no help. I just make it work. 

• debramommyof4
    June 27, 2013 at 3:46 AM

My husband is home now (disability)  but when he wasn't I took the kids with me.  If I was so sick I could not get out of bed we did educational kids programing and read on my bed.  If I was sick and could get out of bed I did school and napped when the kids did.

My kids all of them go to their rooms for 2 1/2 hours a day to read or sleep.  That is my down time,

• bluerooffarm
    June 27, 2013 at 7:10 AM

My husband installs solar panels.  He is gone while the sun is up, usually 14-16 hours each day.  We can't take a day off, so is falls to me.  When I'm sick, school might be in my bed.  When I have an appointment, the kids come with me.  Very rarely hubby can stay home and do paperwork while I go.  I have no family around me either.

I get down-time by the way I "trained" (I know bad word) my kids.  They know that when Mom is in Her Space, they are not to disturb me unless someone is bleeding or something is on fire, used rarely but nice.  It took a while to get to that point, but it was well worth it.  Also we have a half hour Flat on Bed time where the older 2 read and the youngest begins his nap.  When the older 2 are really tired, they fall asleep too.  I look forward to getting to read for that half hour each day.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    June 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM

hi pmamama!! you can do it!!!

when my kids were younger i was a single parent, i always had my kids with me, took them anywhere i needed to go. its not hard you gotta just make do, you can bring things to entertain them!  even if sick you do what needs to be done like maybe letting them watch a movie so you can get some rest! train your kids to help with the housecleaning etc. makes it much better when they know what needs to be done and they get to help mom! giving them tasks to accomplish, they love it! of course prizes!

• mem82
    by mem82
    June 27, 2013 at 9:51 AM
    Beyond what the others have send, maybe you can find a homeschooling teen who would be willing to babysit.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    June 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM
    Oh, and no one is getting tired of you. Lol We all had the same questions when we first started.
  • ashlelyb_0827
    June 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Quoting mem82:

Beyond what the others have send, maybe you can find a homeschooling teen who would be willing to babysit.

EXACTLY what my suggestion was going to be! Or another homeschooling mama who you can swap sick days/appointment days with. 

• ashlelyb_0827
    June 27, 2013 at 10:03 AM

If you're really sick one day, and can't find anyone to help .... do I hear a Movie Day calling your name? I think I do. :) 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts