Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
FootballFan12
Do your kids have a tablet?
June 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I am considering getting a tablet for my little one for the fall. I know there are so many apps available that could be beneficial but wanted to get the consensus of the group first.

Do any of you have tablets for your kids? Do you find them helpful? How do you use them in conjunction with homeschooling?

Replies

• irvinehiker
    June 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Right now we have a nook that is shared among the 2 kids and I.  It does have some nice apps and I love using it for reading.  But it usually gets used for netflix and the net most of all.  I'm hoping to add an ipad soon because there so many more apps that are available for the ipad.

• bluerooffarm
    June 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Yeah, my MIL gave my older 2 kids tablets for Christmas.  They have been useful.  They have some great apps for vocabulary, eggy words, math practice, and some good books.

• celticdragon77
    June 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Yes. They each have ipads. However, we are selling them and getting laptops instead. Their ability to use the internet for school was limited. There are so many apps that they can just put on whenever they want (most ended up being games). They are able to download books and I put some onto their ipads, but they pretend to read and play games instead. I will be keeping one of the three ipads for some of the educational apps and books that we bought. I had debated getting a nook or kindle as JUST a book reader, but decided against it for now. 

• mem82
    by mem82
    June 26, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    Yes, our kids have tablets. We like them so much we are upgrading them this Christmas.
  • vintage-misha
    June 26, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Both my children have their own iPad minis. 

• mommy4lyf
    June 26, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Yup. Ipad is for his personal use and samsung galaxy tablet is for educational purposes. I created a separate account and downloaded nook app and kindle app in his tablet so I can keep track of the books that I purchase for him alone. There's tons of educational apps that you can get on google play or amazon store.

You can access educational videos via youtube, netflix, hulu, vimeo and etc.

I use it for scheduling, planning, email, ordering and the list goes on...

• AJ-47
    by AJ-47
    June 26, 2013 at 3:05 PM
    No.
  • SequesteredLeo
    June 26, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Yep. And I bought them Android 4.0 tablets on Amazon for only $70 each. I got them the Androids because they are WAY cheaper and  I didn't want to spend a ton of money on them for their first set before I could see how they would take care of them.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    June 26, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    My Hubby & I have tablets the the children are allowed to use & they have all kinds of stuff on them got them to use but they don't have their own personal ones.
  • WIfitGirl
    June 26, 2013 at 4:11 PM

They have an ipad to share. Its been awesome and we've discovered some awesome educational apps. Most of them have been free. We also have a subscription to National Geographic Kids and Explorer on the ipad. It's been worth every penny. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN