Homeschooling Moms

celticdragon77
college education costs around the world
June 25, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I decided to go look up how much college educations cost in the USA compared to other countries. We have the 3rd highest rates. Only Mexico and Japan have higher rates than the USA. 

Mexico

Education costs: $5,077*

Median income: $4,615

Affordability: 110.01%

Highest ranked university: N/A

Number of universities in the top 100: N/A

*Mexico has a range of higher education costs. Private education in Mexico has average tuition costs of $11,777, while public costs $527.

Japan

Education costs: $11,865

Median income: $22,790

Affordability: 52.06%

Highest ranked university: University of Tokyo (30)

Number of universities in the top 100: 2

USA

Education costs: $13,856*

Median income: $26,990

Affordability: 51.34%

Highest ranked university: California Institute of Technology (1)

Number of universities in the top 100: 51

*The USA has a range of higher education costs. Private education in the USA has average tuition costs of $24,700, while public costs $7,173.

Australia

Education costs: $7,692

Median income: $23,017

Affordability: 33.42%

Highest ranked university: University of Melbourne (37)

Number of universities in the top 100: 4

Latvia

Education costs: $3,299

Median income: $13,646

Affordability: 24.17%

Highest ranked university: N/A

Canada

Education costs: $5,974

Median income: $26,623

Affordability: 22.44%

Highest ranked university: University of Toronto (19)

Number of universities in the top 100: 5

England and Wales

Education costs: $5,288

Median income: $24,652

Affordability: 21.45%

Highest ranked university: University of Oxford (4)

Number of universities in the top 100: 10

New Zealand

Education costs: $3,118

Median income: $19,265

Affordability: 16.18%

Highest ranked university: University of Auckland (173)

Netherlands

Education costs: $3,125

Median income: $28,032

Affordability: 11.15%

Highest ranked university: Utrecht University (63)

Finland

Education costs: $1,243

Median income: $21,010

Affordability: 5.92%

Highest ranked university: University of Helsinki (91)

Germany

Education costs: $933

Median income: $22,020

Affordability: 4.24%

Highest ranked university: Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (45)

Sweden

Education costs: $600

Median income: $20,716

Affordability: 2.89%

Highest ranked university: Karolinska Institute (32)

Number of universities in the top 100: 3

France

Education costs: $585

Median income: $20,660

Affordability: 2.83%

Highest ranked university: École Normale Supérieure (59)

Number of universities in the top 100: 3

Denmark

Education costs: $530

Median income: $22,929

Affordability: 2.31%

Highest ranked university: Aarhus University (125)

Norway

Education costs: $596

Median income: $26,623

Affordability: 2.24%

Highest ranked university: University of Oslo (181)

http://www.businessinsider.com/tuition-costs-by-country-college-higher-education-2012-6#mexico-1

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    June 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM
    I don't like how much college costs but the only thing that this says to me is that the USA has more than half of the top ranked Universities which would drive up the costs since they are competing against each other plus having their pick of the world's student body.
  • celticdragon77
    June 25, 2013 at 10:39 PM

The USA does have a HUGE majority of top ranking colleges. I would want to know why that is... and what makes them the highest ranking. Otherwise I would want to question why our country is ranked so low in regards to public education and why colleges complain about the dumbing down they are forced to do because of it.

Quoting mem82:

I don't like how much college costs but the only thing that this says to me is that the USA has more than half of the top ranked Universities which would drive up the costs since they are competing against each other plus having their pick of the world's student body.

• katinahat
    June 25, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Sure they're expensive, but look at the resultant quality-- 51 of the top 100 schools. I'd be in favor of more government subsidies for universities to significantly lower the tuition costs, but those are my personal politics.

• mem82
    by mem82
    June 25, 2013 at 10:43 PM
    Either the research is skewed or the fact that freedom of thought breeds more thinking. Americans have had more time to focus on things beyond survival or worrying about offending a religion or dictator.

Quoting celticdragon77:

The USA does have a HUGE majority of top ranking colleges. I would want to know why that is...

Quoting mem82:

• celticdragon77
    June 25, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Sorry, I think that I edit my comment after you responded.

I didn't think that many of those countries had those issues. I know England, Finland, Australia... are really decent countries. 

Finland and I believe Japan, rank as the top two countries in education.

Quoting mem82:

Either the research is skewed or the fact that freedom of thought breeds more thinking. Americans have had more time to focus on things beyond survival or worrying about offending a religion or dictator.

Quoting celticdragon77:

The USA does have a HUGE majority of top ranking colleges. I would want to know why that is...

Quoting mem82:

• celticdragon77
    June 25, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I was just watching a video saying it is due to the government subsidizing the colleges, that causes the inflated prices. That the bubble needs to pop. That there is not enough competition among our countries colleges. 

Quoting katinahat:

Sure they're expensive, but look at the resultant quality-- 51 of the top 100 schools. I'd be in favor of more government subsidies for universities to significantly lower the tuition costs, but those are my personal politics.

• katinahat
    June 25, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Depends on who you ask :) Germany pays for their universities-- that's why pupils pay little to no tuition. I believe in free or extremely inexpensive public education all the way up through university. I think that everyone should have the ability to pursue higher education. Just my opinion, of course :)

Quoting celticdragon77:

I was just watching a video saying it is due to the government subsidizing the colleges, that causes the inflated prices. That the bubble needs to pop. That there is not enough competition among our countries colleges. 

Quoting katinahat:

• -Charlene-
    June 25, 2013 at 11:24 PM
    America is huge compared to these other countries which are the size of our states, so it makes since that they wouldn't have as many universities as we do, therefore having less on the rankings.
    European universities have been around for centuries and have produced some of the greatest minds in history.
    Anyway, part of the cost being so low also has to do with the country's size in my opinion. It is in their best interest to provide good education to its citizens this helps the economy and its better to pay into education and have adults with good jobs than to have adults who struggle to find work. They are smaller countries with fewer citizens with very low rates of unemployed it seems it would be much easier for the governments there to provide education for its people than for such a large country like the US.
    Also, these universities in Europe only provide these low tuition to its citizens, non citizen students pay a lot to go to there depending on which ones you look at, I looked into one once. So that helps off set come of the costs I bet.

I do wish it were easier to pay for university here, and I think there probably are ways to make it lower, but I understand why we wouldn't be able to do it like these other much smaller countries.
  • celticdragon77
    June 26, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Very true. I believe that Finland pays for college educations.

Quoting katinahat:

Depends on who you ask :) Germany pays for their universities-- that's why pupils pay little to no tuition. I believe in free or extremely inexpensive public education all the way up through university. I think that everyone should have the ability to pursue higher education. Just my opinion, of course :)

Quoting celticdragon77:

Quoting katinahat:

• celticdragon77
    June 26, 2013 at 3:25 AM

The size? Why wouldn't the accurate comparison be based on percentage? 

Quoting -Charlene-:

America is huge compared to these other countries which are the size of our states, so it makes since that they wouldn't have as many universities as we do, therefore having less on the rankings.
    European universities have been around for centuries and have produced some of the greatest minds in history.
    Anyway, part of the cost being so low also has to do with the country's size in my opinion. It is in their best interest to provide good education to its citizens this helps the economy and its better to pay into education and have adults with good jobs than to have adults who struggle to find work. They are smaller countries with fewer citizens with very low rates of unemployed it seems it would be much easier for the governments there to provide education for its people than for such a large country like the US.
    Also, these universities in Europe only provide these low tuition to its citizens, non citizen students pay a lot to go to there depending on which ones you look at, I looked into one once. So that helps off set come of the costs I bet.

I do wish it were easier to pay for university here, and I think there probably are ways to make it lower, but I understand why we wouldn't be able to do it like these other much smaller countries.

Homeschooling Moms