Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
rsrangel
easy chapter books or series
June 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM
My mom gives the grandkids money when they finish a book and write or tell them what it was about, favorite parts, etc. This is the first summer she has added my 8 year old in the mix (so far its been my brothers older kids that do it). My son isn't the biggest reading fan and has struggled with it. So I would like to find some easier chapter books for now that he could enjoy, practice reading, and get the reward from my mom while hopefully getting him to actually enjoy reading a little more, gain confidence, and not get frustrated struggling to much. He's done Magic Tree House but gets frustrated with some of those. Do you know of any chapter books/series that are easier then Magic Tree House?

Replies

• kmath
    by kmath
    June 25, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Henry and Mudge

Frog and Toad

They are both chapter books but with only about 3 chapters.  They are easier reads, but my son still loved them.

• rsrangel
    June 25, 2013 at 7:56 PM
    thank you!

Quoting kmath:

Henry and Mudge

Frog and Toad

They are both chapter books but with only about 3 chapters.  They are easier reads, but my son still loved them.

• mem82
    by mem82
    June 25, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    This will be helpful to me, too!
  • celticdragon77
    June 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Are those "level readers", chapter books? 

• Bleacheddecay
    June 25, 2013 at 9:37 PM

My son loved the Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey at that age.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    June 25, 2013 at 9:38 PM

cowboy sam

have you looked at your library?

what about these? http://www.starfall.com/n/level-c/index/play.htm?f

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    June 25, 2013 at 9:45 PM
  • SarahNElijah
    June 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM
    We love Henry and Mudge!

Cynthia Rylant (who writes Henry and Mudge), also writes 'The High-Rise Private Eyes' series, and the 'Mr. Putter and Tabby' series, both favorites of my 7 year old! :-)

The only other one I can think of is 'The Mouse and the Motorcycle'.. I read this to my son a year or two back, but it is interesting enough I think an 8 year old could read it!

Quoting kmath:

Henry and Mudge

Frog and Toad

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    June 26, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I don't know if they are easier but my sons love geronimo silton.  There are also over 50 books in the series.  They are beyond excellent.

• bluerooffarm
    June 26, 2013 at 8:23 AM

My 8yo loved The Mouse and the Motorcycle.  The rest of those are Ralph S Mouse and Runaway Ralph.

Quoting SarahNElijah:

We love Henry and Mudge!

Cynthia Rylant (who writes Henry and Mudge), also writes 'The High-Rise Private Eyes' series, and the 'Mr. Putter and Tabby' series, both favorites of my 7 year old! :-)

The only other one I can think of is 'The Mouse and the Motorcycle'.. I read this to my son a year or two back, but it is interesting enough I think an 8 year old could read it!

Quoting kmath:

Henry and Mudge

Frog and Toad

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts