Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
BramblePatch
Down to three choices for a core...
June 24, 2013 at 8:14 PM
We are using FIAR over the summer and are really enjoying it....but we need to buckle down come September. I know we will use CLE for math and will continue Song School Latin and ETC. But thats all I have for a K and a 1st. I am lost. DS is ready for grammar and writing, so Abeka Language and Spelling 2 are in my radar but not set in stone. For a core, I am looking at:

Sonlight Core A + Sonlight Science - this keeps calling me but I worry about the amount of reading.
Winter Promise Animal Worlds - I wonder if it gets monotonous with a year of animal studies?
FIAR - we could really beef this up buts its ALOT of back and forth to library in the dead of winter.

Thoughts on these three? My kids are not super into projects, but enjoy a few here and there. They love to read and be read to....but have normal attention spans for 5 and 6 year olds. We are 17 miles from the library and often get snowed in for a day or two.

Replies

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    June 24, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I would't worry about grammar yet for those ages. Concentrate on phonics and getting to them read for fluency first. I used Sonlight P4/5 and K for K and 1st grades. We also used their reading and language arts (the LA was more of a reinforcement of the reading and spelling--we did not do the copywork and talked about the grammar aspects without me expecting her to understand or master them). She was only learning to print her letters in K and simple and short copywork for 1st. Anyway, SL was a lot of reading but was PERFECT, with a few exceptions,  for the age. I remember those years with fondness. Teaching her to read with SL's program was a snap. They use ETC, adding in spelling and selecting readers to coordinate.

• Bleacheddecay
    June 24, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I love literature based things so FIAR is my pick for that. I'm not familiar at all with the rest of the curriculum pieces you've mentioned.

Shurley Grammar is something I've heard very good things about. A friend of mine used it with her kids. They loved it. I loved that there are songs and rhymes that help them remember and learn.

Our fav spelling curriculum which we used for all the kids throughout all the grades was Spelling power. I was also interested in Sequential Spelling but didn't get around to getting it and using it.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    June 25, 2013 at 11:40 AM

i dont use any of them but heres a bump!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN