Homeschooling Moms

MelanieKross
Question for Homeschoolers!! Need Advice!!
June 24, 2013 at 5:32 PM
I am a certified elementary school teacher with a masters in literacy and a gifted certification. I just recently left public school teaching after 13 years because I strongly disagree about many issues and could no longer be a part. I am very supportive of homeschooling and think it is a very noble thing for parents who are making many sacrifices for their kids!

I am starting a new business tutoring in my community...I am also going to be a resource for homeschool families and groups. I am offering planning assistance, assistance teaching difficult concepts, homework help, substitute teaching, as well as teaching small groups special interest classes, such as art, enrichment, book clubs, listening skills, etc.

Is this something you would want as a homeschoolers? Are there other areas of need homeschooling communities need?? I really appreciate honest feedback!!

Thank you,

Melanie Kross
💫💫🌟🙈👼7⃣

Replies

• romacox
    by romacox
    June 24, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I would recommend attending your State Home School Association Annual Conference, and local co-ops to put your service out there, and to find out how you can best serve home educators needs.  Some states require an evaluation by a certified teacher.  If your State does, this would be an area you could serve, but first find out from others, who provide this service,  what is needed.  There is a lot of misinformation out there by the department of education....as you well know.

You may also want to learn about the different methods used by home educators....Home School is not the classroom.

• all2gethernow
    June 24, 2013 at 5:41 PM
    Been homeschooling for 18 years, and ran a co-op for 6. I receive emails like this all the time. My/the co-ops general thought was, why would we bring public school into our homeschool???? We generally want no shred of it. So nope, wouldn't be interested at all.
  • Rust.n.Gears
    June 24, 2013 at 5:43 PM
    I wouldn't be interested either. When we left public school we learned how to educate our children ourselves. After six years I am confident in my skills.
  • rsrangel
    June 24, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I would love the small interest classes and book club!  But if it was something that we'd have to pay a lot extra for, then I might not.  We have a large homeschool group in our area that does things like that.  We pay a small membership fee each month, and every parent that joins is required to organize 2 co-op classes, field trips, party, a club, help out with yearbooks, prom, or something like that throughout the year.  The co-op classes in the past have been science, history, art, cooking, music, and stuff like that.  We don't have to pay extra for them, maybe just the money for the materials they would need.  As for the tutoring - if my kids ever come to a place that they are having difficulty beyond what I can help them (especially as they get into middle and high school stuff), then I would look into tutoring. 

• bluerooffarm
    June 24, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Sorry, but I agree with the others.  I was also a public school teacher and it was fairly difficult to unlearn all the training I had.  I would not be willing to bring in someone who would also need to go through that process.  I would not mind having a public school teacher sit in on our co-op in order to go through that process in the hopes of tutoring later.  But I would not expect to pay for it.  It would be a kind of student teaching type of activity.  It is more difficult to make the jump than you may think.

• MelanieKross
    June 24, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Wow...Everyone has told me that people that homeschool are very defensive and rude, pardon me for asking if there is a need for a substitute or a helping hand...There is no need to insult public school teachers.  Some of us are wonderful people who give our hearts and sould to kids you don't want your around.  "Unlearning" public school teaching methods is a little extreme...I'm not sure where you taught...lol.  For those of you who were polite, thanks!  I will stick to my tutoring business, and be glad I'm not involved with some of you...:)

• MelanieKross
    June 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Great advice, thanks!  I couldn't afford to homeschool my own children, so I assumed a lot of people who can would be willing to pay for somebody if they ever get stuck...Thanks for letting me know, and for being polite!

• MelanieKross
    June 24, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Great!  Thank you!

• MelanieKross
    June 24, 2013 at 11:12 PM

...and I am confident in mine, but still sought out great ideas from other people.  Nobody is perfect...:)  Collaboration is a good thing...:) I prefaced my message saying I was insenuating you coudn't do it, but there has to be times when you need a break, or when the way you teach something is going great.  Calm down, no need to be defensive!!

• MelanieKross
    June 24, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Maybe you read my post wrong...I'm not bringing public school into homes...I left public school for a reason as well.  Please re-read.  I worked with poor children for 13 years whose only option was public school.  You are fortunate you get to homeschool but there is no need to be so insensative to all teachers.  We have big hearts and care as well.  I hope you're teaching your kids to love other people and not be as rude as you are!  Maybe you need a sub and a day to yourself??  Lol

Homeschooling Moms