Homeschooling Moms

MelanieKross
Question for Homeschoolers!! Need Advice!!
June 24, 2013 at 5:32 PM
I am a certified elementary school teacher with a masters in literacy and a gifted certification. I just recently left public school teaching after 13 years because I strongly disagree about many issues and could no longer be a part. I am very supportive of homeschooling and think it is a very noble thing for parents who are making many sacrifices for their kids!

I am starting a new business tutoring in my community...I am also going to be a resource for homeschool families and groups. I am offering planning assistance, assistance teaching difficult concepts, homework help, substitute teaching, as well as teaching small groups special interest classes, such as art, enrichment, book clubs, listening skills, etc.

Is this something you would want as a homeschoolers? Are there other areas of need homeschooling communities need?? I really appreciate honest feedback!!

Thank you,

Melanie Kross
💫💫🌟🙈👼7⃣

Replies

• MelanieKross
    June 27, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I have had an enormous amount of responses to my post that offer great advice and do not become defensive like you.  Why would I be marketing my business to people who don't even live in the vicinity of me?  I'm very sorry you wasted your time researching about me...lol.  Have a great day, and smile!!  Jesus loves you despite your negative outlook!

• sha_lyn68
    June 27, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I did a little more digging and found out that you are only about 40 miles from me. The teachers and venues who offer similar services are a dime a dozen around here. I personally know 4 teachers who've tried to start similar businesses in the last few years. The north metro Atl area is already over saturated with such services and most homeschool parents do not have the money to pay for such services. Most of us network and switch off teaching if we have a weak area. Those who do have the $$ most often turn to co-ops where other homeschool parents are usually the "teachers". In this area there are a lot of current and former teachers who homeschool. They get the concepts of deschooling and having to forget much of what you learn while studying to become a teacher. The teachers who also homeschool end up usually getting private tutoring sessions with homeschoolers or positions teaching in co-ops. The teachers who do not also homeschool almost never get in with the homeschool community because of past experiences.

There is no need for a substitute teacher in homeschooling because we don't have to do school on "school days" or during "school hours". Also school doesn't have to mimic the classroom. School can be watching PBS and BBC documentaries about Shakespeare. School can be quietly reading a book etc. School doesn't have to be a teacher teaching.

• LavenderMom23
    June 27, 2013 at 12:09 AM
    I know mom's that like the help and I think you'd do great. I simply would not need or want another coming to teach my kids after I've spent so much time learning to do it myself.
  • MelanieKross
    June 27, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Well you can have your group , and I'll take the advice from the friendly people on here.  My post was asking for advice...Why would I be trying to get business from you when you live nowhere near me?  Calm down...Why is there so much animosity between homeschooling moms and public school teachers?  You want to be in the trench?  Teach 23 poor, underprivileged children every day...You don't even know what trenches are, trust me.  I was merely asking if a service like the one I was considering staring would be something homeschooling people would want or need.  I got attacked for being a public school teacher immediately.  I give my heart and soul to teach children and love them all...Calm down and breathe, and don't worry, I don't want to be part of your "group"!

• sha_lyn68
    June 27, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Quoting MelanieKross:

Well you can have your group , and I'll take the advice from the friendly people on here.  My post was asking for advice...Why would I be trying to get business from you when you live nowhere near me?  Calm down...Why is there so much animosity between homeschooling moms and public school teachers?  You want to be in the trench?  Teach 23 poor, underprivileged children every day...You don't even know what trenches are, trust me.  I was merely asking if a service like the one I was considering staring would be something homeschooling people would want or need.  I got attacked for being a public school teacher immediately.  I give my heart and soul to teach children and love them all...Calm down and breathe, and don't worry, I don't want to be part of your "group"!

1 You actually live not far from me.

2 There is such a thing as the quote feature. People are more likely to know when you are addressing them if you use it.

3 You didn't get attacked until you attacked.

4 Go back and read my previous response to you. I was in the middle of editing it when you commented.

5 Did you in fact choose to leave your teaching position or are you one of the many teachers fired from Gwinnett County school system?

• TJandKarasMom
    June 27, 2013 at 5:24 AM

I don't really think anyone was rude, just giving you their honest opinions.

I work in a public school (until Friday!!) and was working on my MEd, until I started seeing lots of stuff coming down the pike that I didn't like or agree with.  I have decided to pull my kids out of public school and try to homeschool them.  I cannot "afford" to homeschool nor pay for extra classes and such.  I am looking for a pt job to help make up for my lost ncome (which isn't much being a para in a ps)

I really can't afford anything, I'm not sure how it's going to work.  But I think homeschoolers just figure it out for the most part.  We aren't typically a bunch of rich people that hire out all of our responsibilities, we just figure out how to do it ourselves. 

Quoting MelanieKross:

Great advice, thanks!  I couldn't afford to homeschool my own children, so I assumed a lot of people who can would be willing to pay for somebody if they ever get stuck...Thanks for letting me know, and for being polite!

• mrs.hartman12
    June 27, 2013 at 9:59 AM

1) Don't insult the people you are trying to sell too, they are your potential consumer

thats actually the only advice I have. Good luck on your ventures. 

Homeschooling Moms