Homeschooling Moms

jen2150
I finally found a writing program I like..please share what you are using.
by jen2150
June 24, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I was looking at a write source textbook and I was very unimpressed.  It was over 600 pages and only about 30 of them was dedicated to creavitve writing.  It was a 5th grade level.  My oldest is  going into the 6th grade and just recently has been wanting to write more.  I knew I needed something hands on and I also wanted a program were his writing involved more typing.    It was very organized as far as the steps to writing but I knew it would not work for my sons.  They are very hands on.  

I found a prgram called write shop and I really love it.  I am pretty sure my son will love it as well.  It is filled with creative writing and very hands on.  The book I am getting has 10 lessons which include hands on projects and fold and go lapbook style grammar foldables.  The books are filled with helpful teaching tips as well.  I ordered the e-book version.  It involved printing 250 pages for one book and 144 pages for the activity book.  I am also thinking of doing a reading log as well but a little different.  I was thinking of building a giant tower of popsicle sticks with their books they read written on them.  My son love to build so I think this idea will be fun for them.  I am very excited to start very soon..  

i just thought I would share incase someone was looking for a hands on writing program.  Love to hear any other things people are using.

Replies

• Bleacheddecay
    June 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Sounds good. I wish I had found it back when we were looking for something.

We used Write With the Best  1 and 2

http://www.diagnosticprescriptive.com/wwtb.html

and Wordsmith and Wordsmith Craftsman

http://www.commonsensepress.com/wordsmth.htm

at the high school levels. They had some good points but I wasn't entirely satisfied with either of the programs. They did work better for my kids than other materials prior to finding these though.

• CJsMommy040506
    June 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM
    I just ordered Writing With Ease for my upcoming second grader. I've heard of Write Shop too. If this program doesn't work out then I'll try that next.

Homeschooling Moms