Homeschooling Moms

mem82
Anyone ever decide to bite the bullet and...
by mem82
June 24, 2013 at 11:14 AM

review half a year with tougher course material? I have found that all the Algebra curriculum I like seem like Missie might struggle with them a little at first. I decided to buy a tougher pre- Algebra course and run her through the back half of it to prepare her for a more rigorous Algebra course.

I feel like I'm losing time doing it that way, but I don't want to start a domino effect and have her start struggling, either. I also want her to have a good solid Math basis. Sometimes, I have to remind my self that this isn't a race. LOL

Replies

• Bleacheddecay
    June 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Good thinking that it isn't a race. We had to redo pre algebra too.

• kirbymom
    June 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM
    I have done that too and in the long run, it paid off too. Your right mem, this isn't a race and you can take longer as needed.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    June 24, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Yeah, it seems that leap into the *grown up* Math can be a bit rough.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Good thinking that it isn't a race. We had to redo pre algebra too.

• mem82
    by mem82
    June 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I hope Missie will appreciate going back through it all again. LOL I doubt she will but what can you do? 8)

Quoting kirbymom:

I have done that too and in the long run, it paid off too. Your right mem, this isn't a race and you can take longer as needed.

• kirbymom
    June 24, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    Quoting mem82:

Well, better to do some reviewing than to repeat that whole math grade. That is why I do a review of the kids' math everyday while doing the new math too. At first the kids hatedit but they quickly found that ithe reviewing helped them get through their new math somewhat easier and even a little faster. Hopefully you and Missie ill not have to struggle too much through Missie's math. :)
  • kmath
    by kmath
    June 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I think we are going to do something similar for the first part of math this year.  The more "review" we have done over the summer, the more I realize the school didn't teach him crap.  He is actually better at multiplication because of the games we played, than he is at subtraction.  He doesn't have his addition 0-10 memorized at all and basically does all his "adding" by counting on his fingers.  Not gonna work.  So we are going to go back over addition and subtraction and then move on from there. 

• mem82
    by mem82
    June 24, 2013 at 4:21 PM

It is better to fix it now than have to go back a relearn his math facts when he can't do long division. 8)

Quoting kmath:

I think we are going to do something similar for the first part of math this year.  The more "review" we have done over the summer, the more I realize the school didn't teach him crap.  He is actually better at multiplication because of the games we played, than he is at subtraction.  He doesn't have his addition 0-10 memorized at all and basically does all his "adding" by counting on his fingers.  Not gonna work.  So we are going to go back over addition and subtraction and then move on from there. 

• kmath
    by kmath
    June 24, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Yeah, I agree.  It will be better in the long run.

Quoting mem82:

It is better to fix it now than have to go back a relearn his math facts when he can't do long division. 8)

Quoting kmath:

Homeschooling Moms