Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Maridel
OT-sleep advice
by Maridel
June 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Ladies I need some advice on getting my son to sleep!! He is 10 months old. I dont usually like asking for advice in this area cause I'm not a cry it out parent and I'm not going to leave him in his crib to cry for hours until he starts falling asleep on his own. THough I have put him in his crib in moments of stress where I've felt overwhelmed and he has cried up to 20 minutes. But seriously! His average naps are 20 minutes long. NEVER longer than an hour. And at bedtime I have to get him back to sleep 4 or 5 times before he finally stays asleep for any significant period of time. I'm exhausted and annoyed! Tonight it took me over half an hour of getting him to sleep and here he is crawling at my feet and whining at me. (Hubby took him out of his room, the #1 thing I've told him NOT to do when he wakes up, he brought him out where DH was watching tv and gave him an apple. REALLY!?) Ok so any advice is welcome aside from crying it out. Please help

Replies

• Joann.HS
    June 23, 2013 at 11:05 PM
    I've never let mine cry it out either. My oldest two slept great through the night. My youngest two didn't sleep through night until about two.

No advice really... I'm sorry! It will pass though. :)
  • Maridel
    by Maridel
    June 23, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Quoting Joann.HS:

I've never let mine cry it out either. My oldest two slept great through the night. My youngest two didn't sleep through night until about two.

No advice really... I'm sorry! It will pass though. :)

Thanks I know it will. Just frustrated. My oldest was a champ sleeper, slept all night at 2 months old and took 2 daily naps of 2 hours each. I didnt know how good I had it! My second was pretty bad about sleep, but still took a nap everyday of maybe an hour and a half, but woke up every couple of hours at night until she was 2. I didn't think it could get worse than that though,, but sure enough. My son slept wonderfully until he was 3 months old, then its gotten worse since. The hardest parts are the short naps and the waking up within MINUTES of being put to bed, over and over again. I'd give anything to go back to waking up every two hours if only he'd stay asleep when I put him to bed. 

• Joann.HS
    June 23, 2013 at 11:24 PM
    I'm sorry to hear that. I know how frustrating it is. I think with my youngest ones.. they had more stimulation and felt the need to keep up with the older ones. I remembering cutting down my youngest naps from two naps a day to one a lot sooner then the others. There's also that fine line of wanting them to be sleepy enough for a nap, but not overly tired where they decide to fight it.

If a person (like myself) doesn't choose the cry it out method then we just have to handle it. The pediatrician had a hard time with me I suppose lol. He wanted me to let them cry it out, stop breast feeding, stop bottle feeding at a year etc. But, I always went with my gut.

A homeschooling mom has a lot on her plate as is and a baby can really intensify frustrations.

*hugs*
  • SarahNElijah
    June 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM
    We cosleep, so I don't have much advice for the crib, but I can say that 10 months is a pretty normal time for babies to go through separation anxiety.. They start to realize that you are a separate person and can leave without them! If you would consider cosleeping, I know it makes a world of difference for us, but if not, I would say just remember this too will pass, and before long you will miss the extra snuggles at bedtime! :-(
  • Maridel
    by Maridel
    June 24, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Quoting SarahNElijah:

We cosleep, so I don't have much advice for the crib, but I can say that 10 months is a pretty normal time for babies to go through separation anxiety.. They start to realize that you are a separate person and can leave without them! If you would consider cosleeping, I know it makes a world of difference for us, but if not, I would say just remember this too will pass, and before long you will miss the extra snuggles at bedtime! :-(

We do co sleep some. When he wakes up after I've gone to bed I just go get him and bring him to bed. But then he's an all night nurser. I just put him to bed in his crib at first and thats where I want him to stay until later in the night and thats where I want him to nap. But from the time I put him to bed til the time I go to bed he's easily woken up 7 times. Sigh.... I know it will pass.... it did for my daughter and I'm amazed how well she sleeps now. Just having a bad night where I want him to go to sleep! lol

• SarahNElijah
    June 24, 2013 at 12:18 AM
    I definitely understand that! Hope you both get some rest!! :-)

Quoting Maridel:

Quoting SarahNElijah:

We do co sleep some. When he wakes up after I've gone to bed I just go get him and bring him to bed. But then he's an all night nurser. I just put him to bed in his crib at first and thats where I want him to stay until later in the night and thats where I want him to nap. But from the time I put him to bed til the time I go to bed he's easily woken up 7 times. Sigh.... I know it will pass.... it did for my daughter and I'm amazed how well she sleeps now. Just having a bad night where I want him to go to sleep! lol

• bluerooffarm
    June 24, 2013 at 7:48 AM

It actually sounds as if he is over-tired.  Have you tried bathing him in lavender?  I would bath my youngest in lavender water and then sit in the rocking chair next to his bed and hold his hand for a whole nap cycle (nearly 2 hours).  When he wasn't so overly tired he would sleep in the evening.  As another said, that was my youngest.  He wanted to be with his brothers so he would keep himself awake too long.  He would get achy and cry more than I could handle sometimes.  It was tough for us because I felt horrible leaving my 3yo and 5yo playing in the playroom alone while I sat with my youngest.  But it was very necesary for all of us!!  The older 2 learned not to come to the nursery room unless someone was bleeding or something was burning.  If they came for a nonsensical reason, they had to pull out their yoga mat and nap along with us.  That was BIG incentive to be good!

Also have you moved from 2 naps to one yet?  That helped us.  He had a harder time keeping himself awake with the full belly after lunchtime and a warm bath.

• tuffymama
    June 24, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    My LO had that same issue. It turned out that he had food allergies. Babies that don't sleep usually have food allergies. We had to take LO off all grains and switch him to an organic diet to clean up his ASD symptoms, and magically, he sleeps now. I only discovered the sleep and grain based diet connection after talkin with some other food allergy parents. Most frequently, the main culprits are wheat and soy. If you want to know what we feed LO, message me and I will give you some ideas.
  • JadeTigr7
    June 24, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I wish I had some advice to give you but we don't even have a crib because we bed-share till they can go to a regular bed.

For naps they sleep in a pack n play in our room. 

• Maridel
    by Maridel
    June 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    Thanks! This is very helpful. He is definitely over tired and you can see how cranky he is most of the day. My older girls can be pretty loud. My 4 year old gets a time out most days for waking him up from nap. obviously this isn't Very effective so i like your idea about having to nap too as an incentive. Stayinf with him for entire nap cycles might be something I'm going to have to do. Thank you

Quoting bluerooffarm:

It actually sounds as if he is over-tired.  Have you tried bathing him in lavender?  I would bath my youngest in lavender water and then sit in the rocking chair next to his bed and hold his hand for a whole nap cycle (nearly 2 hours).  When he wasn't so overly tired he would sleep in the evening.  As another said, that was my youngest.  He wanted to be with his brothers so he would keep himself awake too long.  He would get achy and cry more than I could handle sometimes.  It was tough for us because I felt horrible leaving my 3yo and 5yo playing in the playroom alone while I sat with my youngest.  But it was very necesary for all of us!!  The older 2 learned not to come to the nursery room unless someone was bleeding or something was burning.  If they came for a nonsensical reason, they had to pull out their yoga mat and nap along with us.  That was BIG incentive to be good!

Also have you moved from 2 naps to one yet?  That helped us.  He had a harder time keeping himself awake with the full belly after lunchtime and a warm bath.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN