Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
TJandKarasMom
Which subjects do you cover each day?
June 23, 2013 at 7:52 AM
I'm just trying to plan how it all kind of fits together. The only thing we have really set in stone is a co op class on every other Wednesday from 1:30-2:30, which means we will be gone from 1-3ish, and on the opposite Wednesday sometimes a field trip with the co op.

So what do you do? Math and spelling every day? History T and Th?

Replies

• Bleacheddecay
    June 23, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I generally gave the kids an on level spelling test once a year. If they did well, no more spelling for the year. That's usually how it went too, they did great. I don't believe that regular tests in spelling work well. I do believe that writing and reading help spelling more naturally.

My kids could pretty much decide what they wanted to do each day. If they wanted to do five math lessons for some reason and no history one day, that was fine. As long as it was all done and turned into me by 5 p.m. Thursday. We tried to take Fridays for park days and what not.

• JadeTigr7
    June 23, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Every day we do language arts/phonics, writing, math and spelling.  Then 3 days a week we do history and science.  Art is 4 days a week, and we do music twice a week.  

• somuchlove4U
    June 23, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    We do something similar to this.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Every day we do language arts/phonics, writing, math and spelling.  Then 3 days a week we do history and science.  Art is 4 days a week, and we do music twice a week.  

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    June 23, 2013 at 10:16 AM

We do spelling, English, reading, writing, math, history and science every day.  We use mostly a child led approach.

• kmath
    by kmath
    June 23, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Daily will be Math, Phonics/Grammar, writing and reading.  History will be 2-3 days a week depending on how we need to break it up.  Spanish might be everyday, not sure yet how that one will work.  Science will be 1-2 times a week.  Art will be whenever we are working on a project for one of the other subjects so it could be daily, or once a week.  "PE" will also be daily. 

This is a tentative schedule as I haven't gotten all my books in yet so I might have to modify it.  This is what I am planning so far though.

• AutymsMommy
    June 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I'm still working on this for fall, but my plan so far is:

Every day: Math, spelling, literature/reading, second language, religion

Tuesday/Thursday: History

Wednesday/Friday: Geography

Now, the aforementioned subjects are her "at home" subjects. At co-op (every monday - full day) she is taking science (two sciences: engineering and anatomy), art, and writing. These will carry over to home and she will have daily homework in those classes, from what I understand, so I try to keep that in mind when scheduling (that I need to leave about 2 hours free for co-op homework daily).

ETA: She will have weekly Skype lessons (music) with my FIL (he's a private music teacher in the philly area), and needs to set aside an hour a day (or so) to practice her accordion and piano.

• bluerooffarm
    June 23, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Everyday: Math, Language Arts (reading, spelling, grammar, writing, vocabulary), Spanish, and science.

Monday/Tuesday: History and Art

Wednesday/Thursday: Geography and Music

Friday: field trip day.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    June 23, 2013 at 12:17 PM

i do all the subjects everyday,

• Aleshad01
    June 23, 2013 at 12:59 PM
    Same here.

Quoting oredeb:

i do all the subjects everyday,

• 101stwife
    June 23, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I have no idea! I am wondering how to set my schedule up for next year. This past year we really only focused on Math and Reading since they were coming out of public school and I feel that they needed some down time.

This next year I am thinking something like this:

M-F: Math, L.A. (spelling, grammar, reading)

Tu/Thur.: Handwriting and Spanish

M/W/F: Science and History

I am not as focused on making Art, Music, or PE separate classes.  They will do Art when working on projects and they will be taking piano lessons. They are also very active in sports (baseball, track and field, ballet).

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN