Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
blueyedbaker
Graduation
June 22, 2013 at 7:53 AM

What is the going rate for a graduation party gift? We haven't been to one in years so I wouldn't even know what to give. I'm not sure if it matters any that we have 5 this year. Do you give the same amount to each. They are mostly family too.

Replies

• Bleacheddecay
    June 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM

For me, it's $50.00 cash or gift.

• illinoismommy83
    June 22, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Assuming you are talking about a high school graduation, I'd go for $100 cash. If you go with a physical gift, get something for college. 

If the child is "graduating" from some lower grade I'd bring an empty greeting card. I don't understand why we reward kids for passing to a new grade.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    June 23, 2013 at 3:20 AM
    I am a cheap skate then because I would only give $25 or give a gift that cost about that much.
  • Boobah
    by Boobah
    June 23, 2013 at 7:36 AM
    This. No way could I afford $50-100 for graduation gifts.

Quoting usmom3:

I am a cheap skate then because I would only give $25 or give a gift that cost about that much.
  • kmath
    by kmath
    June 23, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I agree with this, especially if you have more than one to go to.  If it was a close family member and I had the extra, I might go up to $50 or equivelent gift.  If you don't want to give cash, and they are moving into a dorm or apt then something for that is usually a great gift.

Quoting usmom3:

• Bluecalm
    June 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM
    Same here. The best gift I got when I graduated from HS was a cute tin container from an older lady on a fixed income. She told me to let her know when I was leaving for college so she could fill it with homemade cookies. Let me tell you, I made LOTS of friends on my dorm hall that first night.:) After that I used the tin for desk supplies.

Quoting kmath:

I agree with this, especially if you have more than one to go to.  If it was a close family member and I had the extra, I might go up to $50 or equivelent gift.  If you don't want to give cash, and they are moving into a dorm or apt then something for that is usually a great gift.

Quoting usmom3:

• Aleshad01
    June 23, 2013 at 1:01 PM
    Same here

Quoting usmom3:

• kirbymom
    June 23, 2013 at 6:25 PM
    OMG! I would get a small gift like a card or a gift certificate to a local store or even just hand them a ten dollar bill with a card. Maybe even take them out to their favorite restaurant.
  • jsbuck
    by jsbuck
    June 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM

We set our limit at $25.  My brother has 6 children, one sister has 2 and the other sister has 5....we would go broke if we tried to give each one $100. LOL

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN