Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
rayraymommy3
Book curriculum vs. online curriculum
June 22, 2013 at 7:11 AM
I want to find a curriculum that mainly uses books. I just don't want my son sitting in front of a computer all day.. I definitely plan to use the computer just not the entire day..... Please help and thanks!!

Replies

• romacox
    by romacox
    June 22, 2013 at 8:17 AM

It is very easy to create your own lesson plans. When you home school, the whole world becomes your classroom :

How children Learn

Lesson Plans that Motivate

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    June 22, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I like to use both.  My sons are also taking computer science.  I think it is important to well versed in both mediums.  I love books and so do my children.  They also enoy doing things on the computer as well.  

• Bleacheddecay
    June 22, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Find out your student's best learning styles and levels in most subjects by using POC4U  http://www.edudps.com/poc4u.html

Then pick curriculum pieces (some of which are detailed and suggested by POC4U for those levels and learning styles. This one resource can be used each year and for every student. It helped our homeschooling get so much better.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    June 22, 2013 at 11:44 AM
  • celticdragon77
    June 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM

What do you need help with specifically? 

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    June 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Christian or secular?

We use HOD. The only electronics I am just starting to use on a daily basis is a Kindle. Believe me, my dd spends enough time on the computer playing games. I think she'd get distracted by subjects taught online. She'd be off on another site in a heartbeat playing a game.  She has learned to type on her own, at a blazing speed, and I will allow her to use the word processor to write some of her assignments. She will also use a few online encyclopedias for research starting this year. Otherwise, I see no need to incorporate it at this time.

Now, my son used an ipad in public school last year. I can see the benefits of accessing online assignments, textbooks, etc. However, we don't need that, with a class of one. Having a resource to watch videos is attractive. Maybe as time goes on, I'll change my mind. LOL

• rayraymommy3
    June 22, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    I would like to find a homeschooling program that has more books, workbooks, papers.. Rather than online for teaching the daily subjects. Something not too expensive!

Quoting celticdragon77:

What do you need help with specifically? 

• AJ-47
    by AJ-47
    June 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    Timberdoodle is, in my opinion, quite fitting for what you're wanting. I'd suggest checking it out, and deciding if it's for you.
  • mommy4lyf
    June 22, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I like to use both plus educational DVDs.

• kirbymom
    June 22, 2013 at 6:14 PM
    You really do not need to use a bunch of books either. You can utilize anything for accomplishing schooling/education. I use tv, dvds, tapes, books, the newspaper, everyday life, handwritten lessons, games and the list can go on but I think I will stop here. Being a hpmeschooling family means you are schooling outside the public's percieved "normal" parameters of education. And that is why homeschooling is doing a bang up job and making the news more and more.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts