Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
celticdragon77
LESSON PLANNING QUESTIONS
June 20, 2013 at 9:51 PM

That scheduling post was a bust. It got off topic and stayed off topic. I didn't get what I was looking for out of it. So I am going to try this one more time. Hopefully, wording it better.

Excuse the typos, I am usually tired when here, and in a hurry.

Does anyone Create or Supplement lesson plans?

IF you do, how do you go about it?

Do you sit down once a year and schedule everything out? Or do you break it down into bits - like once every 3 mths, or every 6wks, or once a week? 

Do you know everything that you will use, read and do? 

How do you leave room for things that take longer or something you come across that you want to fit into the schedule? 

I have a very restricted amount of time that I have in a day to cover materials - so going a little longer in the day is not an option. I have the max amount of weeks - and days in a week that I want to use for "school".

So while I do my scheduling, I am trying to think of how I can leave some extra room, if I need it.

I homeschool 4 hrs a day - 4 days a wk - 45 wks a year. (I work a ft job). 

I was thinking of scheduling Mon-Wed and leaving Thurs open for "extra time" incase something takes longer or the kids and I come across something interesting that wasn't planned. 

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    June 21, 2013 at 12:01 AM

One evening a week.

Scheduling out any more ahead of time than that would be pointless; the plans would have to be rewritten if we went beyond or faster than I had anticipated, fell behind because of a sick day or because we needed to spend more time on something than I had accounted for, etc.

So, I sit down on Friday night, look at what we've done and what I hope to accomplish the next week, and I write it up. Now, at my eldest's age, this is on her calendar (Donna Young calendar), but it'll be more general and mom directed for my youngest this fall.

• celticdragon77
    June 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM

In your experience, do you think it matters that I factored in sick days? For example, I have 47 weeks available for homeschooling (after minusing out 5 weeks of vacation breaks). I then minused out an additional 2 weeks for "sick days". So I was counting on having 45 weeks to homeschool.  

I was kind of hoping to catch my kids up in a specific subject and so I want to try covering abit more than one grade a year. If it doesn't happen, it's fine. But I at least hoped to have a goal to work towards.  

Quoting AutymsMommy:

One evening a week.

Scheduling out any more ahead of time than that would be pointless; the plans would have to be rewritten if we went beyond or faster than I had anticipated, fell behind because of a sick day or because we needed to spend more time on something than I had accounted for, etc.

So, I sit down on Friday night, look at what we've done and what I hope to accomplish the next week, and I write it up. Now, at my eldest's age, this is on her calendar (Donna Young calendar), but it'll be more general and mom directed for my youngest this fall.

• AutymsMommy
    June 21, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I think that if you hope to cover more than one year, your best bet is to schedule week by week - that will allow you to move progressively more quickily, as your children show the ability to do so, without having to redo your entire plan.

Sick days are only part of it. I I write down that I want to cover fraction functions that week, but when doing so we either become engrossed in it and cover multiple days' worth of material in one day, or I discover she already knows (with mastery) some of those functions, I can redo only a couple days on a weekly schedule, rather than being a slave to a 3 month + schedule that I either have to stick to or spend hours changing.

Really, even with one older child carrying a rigorous load, making the weekly lesson plan never took me more than an hour every friday night. I don't anticipate it'll take much more adding in my K'er next year.

Quoting celticdragon77:

In your experience, do you think it matters that I factored in sick days? For example, I have 47 weeks available for homeschooling (aftering minusing out 5 weeks of vacation breaks). But, I minused out an additional 2 weeks for "sick days". 

I was kind of hoping to catch my kids up in a specific subject and so I want to try covering abit more than one grade a year. If it doesn't happen, it's fine. But I at least hoped to have a goal in mind.  

Quoting AutymsMommy:

One evening a week.

• celticdragon77
    June 21, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Thank You!!! That is extremely helpful.

I had not thought of that. And I agree with your reasoning. But another factor... library books. I need time to look up books and ordering them ahead of time (whether library books or from Amazon). 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I think that if you hope to cover more than one year, your best bet is to schedule week by week - that will allow you to move progressively more quickily, as your children show the ability to do so, without having to redo your entire plan.

Sick days are only part of it. I I write down that I want to cover fraction functions that week, but when doing so we either become engrossed in it and cover multiple days' worth of material in one day, or I discover she already knows (with mastery) some of those functions, I can redo only a couple days on a weekly schedule, rather than being a slave to a 3 month + schedule that I either have to stick to or spend hours changing.

Really, even with one older child carrying a rigorous load, making the weekly lesson plan never took me more than an hour every friday night. I don't anticipate it'll take much more adding in my K'er next year.

Quoting celticdragon77:

In your experience, do you think it matters that I factored in sick days? For example, I have 47 weeks available for homeschooling (aftering minusing out 5 weeks of vacation breaks). But, I minused out an additional 2 weeks for "sick days". 

I was kind of hoping to catch my kids up in a specific subject and so I want to try covering abit more than one grade a year. If it doesn't happen, it's fine. But I at least hoped to have a goal in mind.  

Quoting AutymsMommy:

One evening a week.

• haskins46563
    June 21, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Here's what I do.  I use the planning forms from donnayoung.org   Just the simple columned ones.  On the 3 by 9 ones I plan out each subject for each child or just one sheet for the subjects we do together.  This gives me 27 lessons planned out at once per subject.  

Then I use the 5 by 9 column planner to plan out my weeks the weekend before it happens.  I transfer "the next thing" from each of the individual subject planning sheets into what I want to do for Monday, Tuesday, etc (they have a 4 by 9 too if you are only planning 4 days a week.  

Then as each thing gets done during the day, I check it off.  If something runs longer and another thing doesn't get done and checked off, I bump it forward.  I can visually see during the week it didn't get done and we may just be a day behind that week if it happens early, but by the end of the week, I can just fill in what we didn't get to on the next weeks planner and then fill in the rest of the next week with the next things from my subject lesson plans.

i do better when I'm planning out chunks at a time.  One, I'm not lesson planning for long stretches every week every subject.  Two, I can see 27 lessons, or about 5 weeks, laid out in front of me to ensure we will make the forward  progress that I want them to without filling in a solid "date" and then messing up the whole thing or stressing if we did t get one subject done.  

Since your doing hours, I would start from something like I outlined above so you get both long term and short term planning, but if you reach your goal hours for the day and don't get everything done, just bump it to the next day and stop for the day.  Don't be so tied to the plan that it becomes a noose.  I made that mistake a time or two and all it did was stress us all out when we had been at it for a long day and I was saying "but we haven't done xyz and its on the plan for today!"  

I also usually start with the basic and most important subjects first.  Math and language arts.  I feel these are most important and if we have to miss a subject for the day I'd rather it be something other than those two.  

I hope this helps.  The method worked great for me this last year!

eta:  by planning subjects our in advance, it also helps with the supplements and the library book issue.  I can see what's coming up even if its not assigned a date yet.  I know about how long it will be before we get to that topic.  As we are working through other things, if I come across a great resource or supplement, I can add it to the day of lessons it goes with in advance.  When I get down to about one column of lessons remaining on the indifpvidipual subjects (9 lessons). I do another sheet of 27.  That way I can always see where we are heading.

• haskins46563
    June 21, 2013 at 2:52 PM
    Excuse the typos above. I just re read it and realized I shouldn't type when I'm a hurry. Especially on the iPad. Lol
  • hipmomto3
    June 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM

This year, I'm doing 4-5 weeks at a time. We're starting back to school after the fourth of July, so we're going to do 4 weeks, then they take a week off to go to art camp. Then we'll do 5 weeks. So I have the 4 weeks scheduled (planned out on paper, along with what I need to buy/obtain/make ahead of time for each week), and am working on the next 5 right now. We'll take a week off every 4-5 weeks to regroup.

If I planned out ahead much more than that, I'd have two problems.

1. It would get off track due to sickness (mine OR theirs - last December I got the flu and was useless for a whole week), funerals, other unforeseen reasons of missing school.

2. It would get off track due to them working faster at something than I anticipated (I won't ever say, "No! Don't work ahead! It's not on the SCHEDULE!" lol), or taking longer to grasp a concept than I anticipated (never thought it'd take my daughter a full 3 months to master the times tables last year!).

Hopefully by working on 4-5 week chunks, I can be organized, but also be flexible. 

(I'm only planning out the first 9 weeks of school for the 2013/14 school year; I'll use that "off" week to work on the next 9 weeks, etc)

• celticdragon77
    June 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Today I begun to put my lessons online.

I have found it handy for a few reasons - changes are easier because instead of rewriting, I can copy and paste. I can link up videos, books, website links, and more - right into the lesson plans. I also can access it from anywhere, from any device. 

Does anyone else do this?

• celticdragon77
    June 21, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I think the 4-6 weeks is more how far out I want to plan things out too. I need some time to get prepared for the lessons. I use a lot of books from Amazon and the library (and that requires ordering them). Plus, any other materials or other prep work I need time to accommodate for. 

Quoting hipmomto3:

This year, I'm doing 4-5 weeks at a time. We're starting back to school after the fourth of July, so we're going to do 4 weeks, then they take a week off to go to art camp. Then we'll do 5 weeks. So I have the 4 weeks scheduled (planned out on paper, along with what I need to buy/obtain/make ahead of time for each week), and am working on the next 5 right now. We'll take a week off every 4-5 weeks to regroup.

If I planned out ahead much more than that, I'd have two problems.

1. It would get off track due to sickness (mine OR theirs - last December I got the flu and was useless for a whole week), funerals, other unforeseen reasons of missing school.

2. It would get off track due to them working faster at something than I anticipated (I won't ever say, "No! Don't work ahead! It's not on the SCHEDULE!" lol), or taking longer to grasp a concept than I anticipated (never thought it'd take my daughter a full 3 months to master the times tables last year!).

Hopefully by working on 4-5 week chunks, I can be organized, but also be flexible. 

(I'm only planning out the first 9 weeks of school for the 2013/14 school year; I'll use that "off" week to work on the next 9 weeks, etc)

• romacox
    by romacox
    June 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM

How I go about it:  How Children Learn

I create my lesson plans after each lesson.  My objectives change  based on what the children learned. We sometimes move on to new material, or we might stay on a subject for awhile

I am flexible, because sometimes plans change mid stream based on individual needs.  A child may not be grasping something, and I ask questions to see what the missing link is before proceeding on to new material .  Better to be late than to proceed onto  material that is not comprehended.   

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN