Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
chotovec82
interesting...
June 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/06/20/Obama-catholic-AMericans-religious-freedom

Replies

• celticdragon77
    June 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I do not know or have the full context to go on. I do not know WHY he was in Ireland, and I don't know what the rest of the speech was.

Just on face value of the 45sec clip - I agree that we need to have the freedom to have our differences AND YET remember that we are all humans / souls that at the core of everything, are the same. There needs to be more excuse to love another and less excuses to bring war. 

I would imagine that the fact that he is speaking in Ireland, gives his speech a bit credence?!

Just my humble two cents... 

• AutymsMommy
    June 20, 2013 at 8:43 PM

This Catholic isn't impressed.

• chotovec82
    June 20, 2013 at 8:46 PM
    Not impressed with what? The article, Obama, etc...?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

• AutymsMommy
    June 20, 2013 at 8:48 PM

His "speech", him making the speech, etc.

Essentially, it seems he would love to do away with Catholic education in general, at least that is how my (admittedly biased) mind is reading it.

Quoting chotovec82:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

• chotovec82
    June 20, 2013 at 8:54 PM
    That's what I thought also. However, it's not just catholic schools; it's any faith based school. This, imo, could go from an attack on private schools to an attack on homeschoolers. I believe he did say something about to rid of us differences that having all kids in public school would be the only way. I felt like he was being a huge Marxist when he said that.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Essentially, it seems he would love to do away with Catholic education in general, at least that is how my (admittedly biased) mind is reading it.

Quoting chotovec82:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

• AutymsMommy
    June 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I don't disagree with you.

Although, oddly enough, his own children aren't in public school, so it would be a strange assertion for him to make, lol.

I do understand why his children aren't in public school (security concerns come to mind - the school they attend is frequented by children of elite public figures and their secuirty measures reflect that), but if he were to make an outright assertion, ever, that children should be in public school, he would have to put his children where his mouth is and I can't imagine him taking that risk (I wouldn't, as a parent... and as much as I disagree with his politics, he does seem like an exceptional father).

Quoting chotovec82:

That's what I thought also. However, it's not just catholic schools; it's any faith based school. This, imo, could go from an attack on private schools to an attack on homeschoolers. I believe he did say something about to rid of us differences that having all kids in public school would be the only way. I felt like he was being a huge Marxist when he said that.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting chotovec82:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

• chotovec82
    June 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM
    True but he doesn't seem to be the person to practice what you preach either. He was all for 'better' gun control and maybe even making some guns illegal to own; yet I am sure his secret service agents and whomever else are responsible for him own and carry guns...

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Although, oddly enough, his own children aren't in public school, so it would be a strange assertion for him to make, lol.

I do understand why his children aren't in public school (security concerns come to mind - the school they attend is frequented by children of elite public figures and their secuirty measures reflect that), but if he were to make an outright assertion, ever, that children should be in public school, he would have to put his children where his mouth is and I can't imagine him taking that risk (I wouldn't, as a parent... and as much as I disagree with his politics, he does seem like an exceptional father).

Quoting chotovec82:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting chotovec82:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

• AutymsMommy
    June 20, 2013 at 9:23 PM

To be fair, he never advocated for a complete gun ban, that I'm aware of, and his gun control ideas never included trained military or police forces (which his secret service agents are, on some level).

(To be clear, I'm a conservative and gun owner, I'm just not one who wishes to perpetrate misconceptions - I've never heard him advocate for a gun ban or to infer/dictate that everyone should be without a gun).

Quoting chotovec82:

True but he doesn't seem to be the person to practice what you preach either. He was all for 'better' gun control and maybe even making some guns illegal to own; yet I am sure his secret service agents and whomever else are responsible for him own and carry guns...

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting chotovec82:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting chotovec82:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

• chotovec82
    June 20, 2013 at 9:27 PM
    No I never said a complete gun ban but I am pretty sure assault rifles were a proposed ban at one time.
    I also know his secret servicemen are trained and he wasn't including them and I also get why they are necessary for his protection; however, it's been proven that trained military men have become terrorist here. Lee Harvey Oswuld. He killed JFK and was a marksmen in the US military. That's just one out of a few. So, I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense to me.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

To be fair, he never advocated for a complete gun ban, that I'm aware of, and his gun control ideas never included trained military or police forces (which his secret service agents are, on some level).

(To be clear, I'm a conservative and gun owner, I'm just not one who wishes to perpetrate misconceptions - I've never heard him advocate for a gun ban or to infer/dictate that everyone should be without a gun).

Quoting chotovec82:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting chotovec82:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting chotovec82:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

• AutymsMommy
    June 20, 2013 at 9:33 PM

*shrug*

It makes sense to me, that if he believes assault rifles should be banned from the general pop, he would obviously try to ban them.

I may disagree with him and I would never support his efforts there (on any level), but I do understand *why* people I disagree with do the things they do, and push the agendas they push - because they have different priorities and different beliefs than I personally hold. I'm cool with that.

"I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." <---- Applies to president obama as well as others I come across that I disagree with. I will NEVER support his preferred gun legislation, but I'll defend his right to HOLD and VOICE his beliefs and preferences regarding guns; what I disagree with, fundamentally, is him trying to push that onto others, of course :)

Quoting chotovec82:

No I never said a complete gun ban but I am pretty sure assault rifles were a proposed ban at one time.
    I also know his secret servicemen are trained and he wasn't including them and I also get why they are necessary for his protection; however, it's been proven that trained military men have become terrorist here. Lee Harvey Oswuld. He killed JFK and was a marksmen in the US military. That's just one out of a few. So, I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense to me.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting chotovec82:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting chotovec82:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting chotovec82:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts