Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
oredeb
Summer Vacations? where are you going?
by oredeb
June 20, 2013 at 10:23 AM

where are you going for summer vacation?

Replies

• Bleacheddecay
    June 20, 2013 at 10:28 AM

The beach!

• kmath
    by kmath
    June 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM

My son and I are going to MO to see my dad.  I have another week off, but I am not sure what I am doing with that one yet.

• mem82
    by mem82
    June 20, 2013 at 11:05 AM

We're going up to Lake Erie to stay at Maumee Bay. I hope it's as nice as it sounds. 8)

• hipmomto3
    June 20, 2013 at 11:15 AM

@mem82 your post reminded me of a line from the old The Lorax movie, where one of the hummingfish say, "I hear things are just as bad up at Lake Erie!" (I hope they're not :) )

We took our "summer" vacation in mid-April and went to the gulf (Orange Beach, Alabama) for 4 days. We did the beach, swimming (indoors!), the Naval Aviation museum, and the little zoo that could. It was a nice trip.

Then a few weeks later, DH's grandma passed away so we all flew out to California for 4 days. We did 1 day in Chicago (where we flew out of) before, Art Institute, etc. In CA we didn't do a whole bunch because we were mostly doing family stuff, but we did go to Mideval Times.

Last Friday we went to an amusement park that is about an hour away from us, with my mom. It's SUCH an awesome park and so weird that it's in this very rural part of southern Indiana! They have lots of rides but this ENORMOUS water park, and free sodas and sunscreen and parking - it's a great deal. That was a lot of fun.

Next Friday we're going to St. Louis (3 hours away) for a weekend, because we got free tickets for me and the kids to go to Six Flags from their reading program. Just have to buy a ticket for DH (oh and pay for parking and $3.50 for drinks... ugh. They get you one way or another!)

Otherwise we aren't planning to make any other trips until this fall. We are doing some summer-ish things - we had a yard sale, we've been to the drive in a few times, we are going to a baseball game tonight. Just trying to enjoy each day and do fun things here and there and get caught up on some house projects!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    June 20, 2013 at 12:39 PM

We are having a stay-cation this year.

• Aleshad01
    June 20, 2013 at 12:49 PM
    No vacation this year. We don't really have the extra money and it wouldn't be easy with a very active 2 year old and baby.
  • Jinx-Troublex3
    June 20, 2013 at 1:23 PM
    We will wait till September to do anything. I'm trying to get DH to agree to doing a road trip to Grand Canyon and Mesa Very National park.
  • swim-mom72
    June 21, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Our big vacation usually happens in the fall or winter (better prices and better weather). Our summers are pretty hectic with my oldest son's swimmschedule. He has 2-a-day swim practice 4 days a week and one practice on Wed. and Sat., for a total of 10 practices!! *sigh*

So, we take trips to the lake with our boat or day trips to a water park or go visit grandparents, but no extended vacation for us.

• No_Difference
    June 21, 2013 at 8:16 AM

We're mostly staying home beause of swim. However - we have a meet on July 2nd, then we're driving 13 hrs back to WI first thing in the morning on the 3rd (that is going to feel so much longer than 13 hrs because we'll be looking at next to no sleep), staying for 4 days, and then booking it back for the next practice on Mon, so she won't miss her attendance reward at the end of the year.

We went to OH for a weekend at the beginning of the month (at least thats a 6 hr drive) for a weekend, leaving right after a Friday's practice, and getting home that Sunday night really late to make Monday's morning practice.

I love the swim team...I hate that I forget how crazy it is lol. We'll be visint all the near by National parks a lot, hopefully soon tho. Yesteray was WV's 150th "birthday" and Gettysburg National Park is having their anniversary, so we wanted to for sure hit there yet this summer.

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    June 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

We will wait till September to do anything. I'm trying to get DH to agree to doing a road trip to Grand Canyon and Mesa Very National park.

We're going to hit Mesa Verde in October!  It will tie in quite nicely with my oldest's learning about Native Americans.  :)  There are wildfires right now, but I'm hopeful that'll all be settled out by then.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts