Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
greenmama9801
Curriculum
June 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Are there any curriculums out there for home schoolers that aren't religion based for high school age? 

Replies

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    June 20, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    I'm sure there are, bump for someone who knows!
  • blueyedbaker
    June 20, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I used Calvert but it's expensive. I've heard good reviews on Oak Meadows. I'm putting the curriculum together for my 6th grader again this year.  I just can't find any one complete curriculum I've liked so it's better to piece it together than buy one complete curriculum even though it takes longer to find everything, in the end it's worth it.

• Knightquester
    June 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM

We're not religious or part of any religion and have been able to find a lot of different secular curriculum for our kids.  Here's a good site to see some of what's out there:

http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/217-secular-homeschool-curriculum/

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    June 20, 2013 at 12:40 PM

If you can't find one you like or can afford you can make your own & use sites like Khan Academy for math & science.

• swim-mom72
    June 20, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Timberdoodle puts together boxed sets for each grade level. If there is a Christian book in the box, you can substitute it with anything else that they sell on the site. For instance, they may have the Apologia Chemistry text in the selected box, but you can replace it with Friendly Chemistry (secular).

Another option, for an all inclusive, is Sonlight. Yes, there are some religious materials included in some of the cores, but you can easily work around it.

Someone has already suggested Oak Meadow, that would have been another choice of mine for secular material.

There is quite a bit out there if you want to piece it all togther yourself: Life of Fred (math), Real Science 4 Kids, Drive Through History, Math U See and Saxon for Math and Language.

• greenmama9801
    June 20, 2013 at 8:35 PM

you guys have been so helpful. thx so much :)

• AutymsMommy
    June 20, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Oak Meadow. I'm not aware of a boxed curriculum for high school otherwise (Calvert is pre K - 8th; no high school yet).

There's K12 too. You could, essentially, use it privately instead of through the school system.

It would be easier on you and your wallet to put it together yourself, but if you're a new homeschooler, I also understand wanting the handholding of a boxed curriculum.

• greenmama9801
    June 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Im actually pretty good with putting together some of the curriculum, but my main concern is math and science. I myself am not a Math wiz... I get it but have a hard time teaching it. Plus I have 3 other children, another on the way in like 7 weeks and I run a home daycare full time so I need some help with math and science to make it a little easier for me 

• AutymsMommy
    June 20, 2013 at 9:21 PM

You could go for an independent math like Teaching Textbooks (although I'm not one who thinks this is for a strong math student).

Check out Kolbe Academy for high school science (and, if you want, math). Kolbe is Catholic, but you can purchase the lesson plans for individual subjects, and they use secular science texts; there IS faith interwoven in the teacher lesson plans, but you can EASILY filter that out and the texts are secular). The perk of these lesson plans is that they take these secular public school texts and turn them into homeschool friendly texts with home friendly lab options.

Quoting greenmama9801:

Im actually pretty good with putting together some of the curriculum, but my main concern is math and science. I myself am not a Math wiz... I get it but have a hard time teaching it. Plus I have 3 other children, another on the way in like 7 weeks and I run a home daycare full time so I need some help with math and science to make it a little easier for me 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts