Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
shamrock_momma
he made me proud, but broke my heart...
June 18, 2013 at 5:23 AM
I knew I made the right decision to homeschool as soon as my ds stopped dreading mornings and started reading for fun. Last night, I gave my son his report card for his completed second grade. (i don't care about his grades so much as he's learning. Being from PS, he wants the grades because he's used to it.) He averaged an A all year.... Pretty impressive considering his teacher in ps had been failing him. So, I'm proud that he cares enough to want to get good grades.

Then he wrapped his arms around me and said, "Mom, thanks for being my teacher. You make me feel smart and you don't let other kids be mean to me when I ask a question. I'm never going back to school again." Talk about breaking my heart!

It's a good thing his former teacher and I don't run in the same circles.... I would have a hard time staying in the right side of the law. No one has the right to make my son feel stupid and allow him to be bullied. The more he has revealed about what went on at that school, the more I wish I had pulled him out sooner!

Replies

• tuffymama
    June 18, 2013 at 7:03 AM
    You've brought him home soon enough to save his tender little heart. He has a greater chance of developing real character and a full heart now, along with the increased potential for self-morivated learning. Don't let the anger at that one teacher eat you up, but rather recognize her frustration at not being able to force one more square peg in a round hole, because that's what SHE has been conditioned to do, and the poor sap is too blind to see she has been hoodwinked into following a sinister plan. It's a broken system, and yes, there are some parts more broken and destructive than others, but we have the opportunity to shine a bright light on what education can be at its best, when it builds character, minds, and whole people.
  • Bleacheddecay
    June 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Yay you! *HUGS* This is wonderful!

• mem82
    by mem82
    June 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Awww, poor guy. Makes me want to go beat the teacher up, too! lolYou're an awesome mommy.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    June 18, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I love to read story's like this one!

• bluerooffarm
    June 18, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Aww!  That made me tear up!  So glad you brought him home! :-)

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    June 18, 2013 at 3:32 PM
    How wonderful! Good job little guy!
  • Boobah
    by Boobah
    June 18, 2013 at 3:32 PM
    How wonderful! Good job little guy!
  • BookGirl419
    June 18, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Aww 

• kmath
    by kmath
    June 18, 2013 at 9:29 PM

That is awesome and heartbreaking all at the same time.  You obviously did the right thing with him.  You rock!

• shamrock_momma
    June 19, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    Thank you all for the encouragement. I'm so thankful that I was able to homeschool. After worrying I was screwing up my son for most of the school year, I now feel like we succeeded and I'm excited for next year.

I dont let the anger at that teacher eat at me. I know it's what she has been taught to do. The stuff he tells me just wakes up the mama bear in me. But I use those emotions to fuel me to be a better teacher, and then to just enjoy him and watch him thrive.

You guys have been great too! I don't always post a lot in here but I try to watch and keep up. It's so good to know others are having struggles, sucesses, and just the normalness that I wasn't sure was normal lol.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts