Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Bluecalm
Would he be considered to be in the school system?
June 16, 2013 at 11:00 PM
My 3 year old needs speech. If he gets it through Child Search, would he be identified as part of the school system? Weird question, but I'm wondering if there would be an issue when I hs him.

Replies

• diaperstodating
    June 16, 2013 at 11:02 PM
    Bump
  • PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    June 16, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Around here, yes, the 3 year olds go through the public school system at that age.

• Bluecalm
    June 16, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Quoting PEEK05:

Around here, yes, the 3 year olds go through the public school system at that age.

I guess what I'm trying to find out is would he be tracked and be expected to enroll in public school kindergarten and I would then have to withdraw him? I am going to hs as a nonaccredited private school, an option in my state. My older son went to ps kindergarten and I've withdrawn him and notified the school of my intent to hs. All I have to send in to the state is the ages of the students in my school and I wouldn't have to report LO until he turns 7.

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    June 16, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting PEEK05:

I guess what I'm trying to find out is would he be tracked and be expected to enroll in public school kindergarten and I would then have to withdraw him? I am going to hs as a nonaccredited private school, an option in my state. My older son went to ps kindergarten and I've withdrawn him and notified the school of my intent to hs. All I have to send in to the state is the ages of the students in my school and I wouldn't have to report LO until he turns 7.

Oh I'm not sure.  I would definitely ask the person you are in contact with regarding your child's services.  I will be in that boat later down the road.  My son is 2 and is getting his final evaluation next month before starting services.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    June 17, 2013 at 12:35 AM
    In CA, you are entitled to services even if you are homeschooled or in a private school. I would check with your state and district.
  • Pukalani79
    June 17, 2013 at 12:41 AM

In Oregon, you're entitled to those services even if you homeschool.  Right now we're going through the process with Special Services to have some testing done on my youngest, as well as some extra help with reading/language skills.  They've been great so far.

• bluerooffarm
    June 17, 2013 at 7:05 AM

In Pennsylvania they must let you use those services as well.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    June 17, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I think it depends on your state & the school district.

• kirbymom
    June 17, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    This is my thoughts as well.

Quoting usmom3:

I think it depends on your state & the school district.

• shamrock_momma
    June 18, 2013 at 5:28 AM
    My son was in speech therapy while in ps, when I pulled him out, he was still entitled to those services. We live in IN. I'd call your school district's main office and ask. Also, you may be able to find out on your state's website. Mine has a ton of useful benefits that homeschoolers are entitled to.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN