Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mamavalor
Greek Mythology
June 16, 2013 at 7:22 PM

DS wants to learn about Greek mythology this summer.  He's 6 y/o.  Any suggestions? 

Replies

• BookGirl419
    June 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    I haven't used it, so in not sure about the age, but maybe D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths?
  • bluerooffarm
    June 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Find the Story teller videos from Henson's Creature shop.  I read Heroes, Gods and Monsters of the Greek Myths and Bullfinch's mythology with my boys.  I suggest steering clear of any "family trees" of the gods because that leads to some questions you will NOT want to answer about incest and rape and other little nasties.

• SusanTheWriter
    June 16, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Usborne and DK both have books on Greek Mythology. D'Aulaire's is a classic children's book with Greek, Roman and Norse myths in different volumes.

• xomrs.chase
    June 16, 2013 at 7:47 PM
    My husband has a few books lol.

We have an illustrated book from usborne also.

Pre-screen any material for a 6yr old to be sure they are age appropriate. Zeus was quite the... ladies man...
  • mommy4lyf
    June 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM
    Too young in my opinion.
  • Rust.n.Gears
    June 16, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    We use Usborne for all our mythology
  • mamavalor
    June 17, 2013 at 6:13 AM

Oh yeah.  I remember that book.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

Quoting BookGirl419:

I haven't used it, so in not sure about the age, but maybe D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths?

• mamavalor
    June 17, 2013 at 6:14 AM

Thanks for the suggestion and advice!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Find the Story teller videos from Henson's Creature shop.  I read Heroes, Gods and Monsters of the Greek Myths and Bullfinch's mythology with my boys.  I suggest steering clear of any "family trees" of the gods because that leads to some questions you will NOT want to answer about incest and rape and other little nasties.

• mamavalor
    June 17, 2013 at 6:15 AM

I think so too but he wants to learn so it's no harm in getting him started.  I'm sure he's not going to get too far but we will see.  He has two older sisters who are more than willing to lessen the confusion and straighten out the stories if he gets confused. 

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Too young in my opinion.

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    June 17, 2013 at 8:38 AM

My oldest has been reading the Mythlopedia books for years.  He loves them.  My 6 year old recently checked out a book from the library of mortals vs. gods in basketball.  Hilarious, while briefly introducing some of the powers the gods held.  It's called Mount Olympus Basketball.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts