Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
celticdragon77
Why can't I differentiate between the vowels???
June 15, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Grr!!! I can NOT say and hear vowel sounds every time.

I can not differentiate between "pen" and "pin" - whether hearing or saying it. 

The a in apple and man sound different to me. 

There are times when o, u, e sounded like a to me. - As well as other confusions. 

Seriously, I should not be teaching phonics!! No wonder my kids are so far behind in their reading skills.

My 17yr old was shocked at how bad I was at hearing the vowels differences. She asked me to spell large words - and I did fine. She asked how I could get them right when it is obvious that I can not hear them. I had to think about it, but it is because I know from "background knowledge" how things look together. However, when I do spell words wrong, it is usually due to vowels. When I spell the word: different. I can't tell if e or a should be there. I have had to memorize this information.

Replies

• RockEducation
    June 15, 2013 at 2:18 AM

I took some type of online phonics test one time. I don't even know the site now. I had problems (hearing it) with one or two of them myself, so don't be too hard on yourself, celtic.

You will do great and so will your kids!!

good

• LongBeachLiz
    June 15, 2013 at 2:28 AM
    Is English your first language?
  • celticdragon77
    June 15, 2013 at 4:00 AM

lol, yes.

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

Is English your first language?

• celticdragon77
    June 15, 2013 at 4:02 AM

I think Barton had it on their website. I didn't take the test because I assumed thatI could do it just fine. I think that I need to go back and take the test.

Thanks for the encouragement =)

Quoting RockEducation:

I took some type of online phonics test one time. I don't even know the site now. I had problems (hearing it) with one or two of them myself, so don't be too hard on yourself, celtic.

You will do great and so will your kids!!

good

• mom2twinboyz
    June 15, 2013 at 4:10 AM
    I know what you mean it can be hard for me sometimes too especially the short ones. A lot of times my kids get frustrated BC they don't know if I am saying "e" or "I" then when I tell them they get mad and say I did it wrong. Lol. But yeah short e and I always get me.
  • romacox
    by romacox
    June 15, 2013 at 5:34 AM

It sounds like you might have  cookie bite hearing loss.  I have that condition, and with hearing aids, I do just fine teaching phonics.  Also with the hearing aids, I understand conversations much better. I don't have to look at them in the face to understand what they are saying.  I was reading lips, and never realized it.  A cookie bite hearing loss is very hard to detect, because one ears some sounds very well, and not other.  I could not tell the difference between F and S, and did not hear m at all.  

I did not discover my hearing loss until I was an adult. As a result my teacher gave up teaching me phonics, and taught sight word recognition instead. I was a slow reader, and hated reading. Learning phonics opened a whole new world to me, and made me more sensitive to struggling readers. I now have have an unusually high success rate helping children learn to read, and give workshops at the University Of North Florida on why my method works so well.

Girl, you just might become a blessing to others because of your experiences.  You might have some trouble learning the different sounds of e and a , and e and i.   But once you learn that difference,   a whole new world might open up for you too. 

• romacox
    by romacox
    June 15, 2013 at 7:37 AM

P.S. Celticdragon77, I was actually successfully teaching phonics way before receiving my hearing aids, and before I knew of my hearing loss.  I learned them by watching the lips of someone who knew them, and I taught them to a group of 8 struggling readers by watching their lips.  I was given those 8 children right after Christmas. The teacher had decided that they should be retained, because they were not reading.

I knew these children.  Most of them were very bright hands on learners, and I could not give up on them.  I felt so incapable of helping them.  So I went home and did the only thing I knew to to....I prayed.  That night the whole idea came to me in a dream.  I did as the dream instructed.  7 of those children, passed the reading exam at the year end, and the teacher was surprised that they could read.  Those children passed with flying colors to the next grade. 

I told the teacher  they could read, and said they were ready for her reading groups.  she apparently did not  believe me, because she did not return them to her reading groups.  I was the only one teaching them reading for the rest of the year.   So don't give up.  ..struggles can turn out to be blessings.

• QueenAtargatis
    June 15, 2013 at 7:41 AM
    Do you have an accent? Or live somewhere where a lot of people do?
  • Mommyfish831
    June 15, 2013 at 7:48 AM

I am the same way.  Apple and man sound different to me too.  I have to say apple slow and man as an in order to her it the same.  I was reading through The ABCs and all their tricks, it's has all the phonics broke down into separate sections and I thought while looking at the A page why are all these in the same sound group when they don't sound the same.  Maybe I should go find a test online too.  Although I think over time I might start to hear it better, or at least I hope.

• Mommyfish831
    June 15, 2013 at 8:02 AM

That is very interesting.  I have pretty much the same problem as the poster and I have noticed that if people are talking quietly I have to be looking at them to understand them.  I might I have to find someone who can do a hearing test on me.  It sounds silly but I had no idea there were different types,of hearing lose.

Quoting romacox:

It sounds like you might have  cookie bite hearing loss.  I have that condition, and with hearing aids, I do just fine teaching phonics.  Also with the hearing aids, I understand conversations much better. I don't have to look at them in the face to understand what they are saying.  I was reading lips, and never realized it.  A cookie bite hearing loss is very hard to detect, because one ears some sounds very well, and not other.  I could not tell the difference between F and S, and did not hear m at all.  

I did not discover my hearing loss until I was an adult. As a result my teacher gave up teaching me phonics, and taught sight word recognition instead. I was a slow reader, and hated reading. Learning phonics opened a whole new world to me, and made me more sensitive to struggling readers. I now have have an unusually high success rate helping children learn to read, and give workshops at the University Of North Florida on why my method works so well.

Girl, you just might become a blessing to others because of your experiences.  You might have some trouble learning the different sounds of e and a , and e and i.   But once you learn that difference,   a whole new world might open up for you too. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN