Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Pumamama
How to reassure kids about homeschooling
June 15, 2013 at 1:12 AM

My girls, ages 5 and soon 7, are finishing up their year at their private school. I've mentioned my desire to homeschool and they just can't imagine what I mean. They are sad to leave their school, but like that an older friend is excited for and jealous of them..

I'm doing my best to meet other homeschoolers, although many are already taking breaks from park days for the summer...I speak positively and give them examples of the cool stuff about hs.

Have any of you had kids that were reluctant? Was it tough to get used to the idea or practice? How long did it take until it became a preference for them? Any hate it?

Replies

• QueenCreole313
    June 15, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    No sorry my son begged to be homeschooled for years before I agreed.
  • Leissaintexas
    June 15, 2013 at 11:30 AM

My oldest was reluctant  (6th grade when I started) but relieved to not have such full days. My middle (K when we started) didn't care, she liked being home, and my youngest has never been in school. Recently we overheard my ds telling his private school friend that he wouldn't want to go to school, because they don't care about him like his mom does. Of course, I got teary eyed. But the point is, even at 10, he knows no school can do what his mom does.  Now, my middle does occasionally say she wants ps, but usually that's when we've just ended an extracurricular activity and the next one hasn't started yet. SHe just gets bored. She's 12.

• mem82
    by mem82
    June 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    We hit a small rough patch with my daughter that lasted about 3 months. We just kept reassuring her and making sure that she got to see kids her age.
  • bluerooffarm
    June 15, 2013 at 12:11 PM

My sons are both happy to homeschool.  My oldest begged to do "something else" while he was in school.  He had no experience with homeschooling, but he knew that I had been a teacher before he was born. One day he asked if I could just teach him like I had taught at school.  We pulled him out at the Christmas break and never looked back.

He tells the others of the negatives of ps, now.  I would just keep telling them things like: next year you won't have to set your alarm.  Or next year we can take a field trip to learn about that. Or next year we can move at your pace.  Or next year you'll have more time to play with the friends you'll make at the co-op because classes don't take nearly as much time as they did at your old school.

Ask them to give you topics they'd like to cover.  Let them pick the direction you'll go with history, science, music, and art.  Ask them if there are extra classes they'd like to try like cooking or sewing, camping, an instrument, karate, swimming, scrapbooking.  Ask them what their favorite genre to read is.  Plan some cool trips right out of the gate: bookstores, library, U-pick farms, state parks, hiking trails, etc.  You can do a lot of things for free or cheap and have more time when you do them because you won't be fighting the crowds like you do in the summer.

• Silverkitty
    June 15, 2013 at 5:37 PM

My daughter HATES school.  She would prefer to spend her days reading and drawing and playing on the computer.  She doesn't want to go to public school because she knows she would have even less time to do the things she likes most.

• coala
    by coala
    June 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM

My oldest bounces between missing PS and liking HS.  She was in a daycare setting and VPK before we got custody of her.  We started K homeschooling b/c of the trauma that she had gone through and wanted to make the transition easier for her (she came to us after her bio mother was arrested for a multitude of things).  She was pulled from our care when her mother got out and was subequently re-enrolled in PS.  We got custody back exactly 4 mos after she left us.  We let her finish her PS year ( only 8 weeks left of the year) and we haven't looked back.  It has been a little over a year.  We get out a LOT and are interactive with kids of ALL ages.  I just reassure them that we will find activites to do, and we do.  We have taken tons of great field trips and she gets to see a bunch of other kids that are doing the same things she is.  My youngest who has NEVER attended daycare or PS made a comment a few weeks ago about wanting to go to school.  We asked why and it is because she wants more friends.  She is our social butterfly and I will have to find somethings to help fill that need for her.  She is almost 5 and is just now old enough for most of the homeschooling activites that take place around here.

• celticdragon77
    June 15, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I do not have experience with having kids NOT wanting to homeschool. My kids have all experienced public school and homeschooling. They CHOOSE to homeschool. I would never force one or the other unless there was good reason to do so. Try homeschooling over the summer and see how it goes for everyone. 

My oldest child is REQUIRED to attend public school despite wanting to homeschool. This is because she only has one year left. She homeschooled thru middle school, returned to high school - and hates it! So, she has rushed to get her credits done in 3yrs instead of the typical four years.

• sha_lyn68
    June 21, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Quoting QueenCreole313:

No sorry my son begged to be homeschooled for years before I agreed.

Same here. He didn't even want to wait the 6 weeks or so to finish up 6th grade. He wanted me to pull him out immediately. I made him stay in because I didn't feel prepared.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts