Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
irvinehiker
Yoga for kids
June 14, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I would like to try doing some yoga with my kids.  I think it would be beneficial for both my kids, but especially my son who has autism.  Do you yourself do yoga or do yoga with your kids?  What books, websites, apps, or other resources have you found helpful?

Replies

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    June 15, 2013 at 2:10 PM

No, but I'd love to!

• tairakittie
    June 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM

We have Netflix and there is a kids yoga series on there, my kids love doing it though it is a bit advanced, they still try to do the poses because there are older kids and pre-teens doing the moves so they can relate a bit more.

• celticdragon77
    June 15, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I have a video set (2dvds) called "yoga kids". The one dvd is more for relaxing and the other one is more active.

I have had this dvd set for YEARS, so I don't know if they still sell it (I saw something similar, but a bit different on Amazon - it seems like they repackaged it). It is more geared for little kids, but my kids still do them.

I saw that Youtube has some videos of yoga, for kids. I saw a lot of more traditional and relaxing yoga on there; which are good. However, what I didn't see were the more active silly "get your wiggles out" activities - which granted, are not really "yoga" persay, but were yoga inspired, and VERY useful. Especially when trying to teach kids. 

I like having the mix - the relaxing yoga before reading and the more active yoga for just getting the wiggles out of their system or to energize an wake them up.

That is IF you can get the kids to do the yoga at all. Some kids are less willing to do the activities.

• celticdragon77
    June 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Oh, I will have to look into this.

Quoting tairakittie:

We have Netflix and there is a kids yoga series on there, my kids love doing it though it is a bit advanced, they still try to do the poses because there are older kids and pre-teens doing the moves so they can relate a bit more.

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    June 15, 2013 at 3:19 PM

No, but I have a little book about Yoga with Kids I'll send to you.  It shows kids demonstrating it and explains how to do the different positions. PM me if you want it.

Once I read about the spiritual aspect of Yoga, I gave it up.

• alf2651
    by alf2651
    June 15, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Really? I'll have to look into this. DD would probably love it.

Quoting tairakittie:

• mommy4lyf
    June 15, 2013 at 4:47 PM
    Not applicable to my autistic son due to vestibular issue. The physical therapist used it for couple sessions but dropped it.
  • tairakittie
    June 15, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    My kids are 3 and 5, I wonder if I can find the dvds for them!! They definitely need a more active session as well as a relaxation session!

Quoting celticdragon77:

I have a video set (2dvds) called "yoga kids". The one dvd is more for relaxing and the other one is more active.

I have had this dvd set for YEARS, so I don't know if they still sell it (I saw something similar, but a bit different on Amazon - it seems like they repackaged it). It is more geared for little kids, but my kids still do them.

I saw that Youtube has some videos of yoga, for kids. I saw a lot of more traditional and relaxing yoga on there; which are good. However, what I didn't see were the more active silly "get your wiggles out" activities - which granted, are not really "yoga" persay, but were yoga inspired, and VERY useful. Especially when trying to teach kids. 

I like having the mix - the relaxing yoga before reading and the more active yoga for just getting the wiggles out of their system or to energize an wake them up.

That is IF you can get the kids to do the yoga at all. Some kids are less willing to do the activities.

• Donna.June
    June 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM
    What do you mean about the spirtual aspect of yoga?

Op, I'm also thinking of getting my kids to do yoga or something. I'm going to look into Youtube and Netflix.

Quoting lucsch:

No, but I have a little book about Yoga with Kids I'll send to you.  It shows kids demonstrating it and explains how to do the different positions. PM me if you want it.

• celticdragon77
    June 15, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I agree that some people may find that yoga activities conflict with their personal convictions.

I personally do not use yoga as a spiritual activity - nor do my kids. In fact, the activities in the kids yoga videos that I have, are only loosely influenced by yoga.

Yoga does what nothing else seems to do, for kids. I am able to not only calm and relax the kids, get built up energy out, or stir up creative energy and wake up their minds... but I am ALSO able to have the kids be conscious of their mind and bodies in relation to one another - working in correlation to one another. I don't know if I was able to word that well or not.

To be honest, if you have this conviction about yoga, then you should probably have one even more so about some of the following; putting up a Christmas tree in December, coloring eggs for Easter, trick or treating, etc.

Quoting lucsch:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts