Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
FootballFan12
How did you break the news?
June 14, 2013 at 3:17 PM

You all have been so great with answering all my questions and indulging me as I research and try to come to a decision, that I thought I would call on you once again.

When you made the decision to homeschool, how did you break it to your friends and family? What did you say? How did they take it?

I know other peoples opinions shouldnt matter, but I just want to be prepared for any eventuality.

Replies

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    June 17, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    You know,I don't remember. I think it was just in passing. My family is no longer surprised by anything I do. Haha!
  • FootballFan12
    June 17, 2013 at 2:53 PM

haha. that is great.

I think my family would be surprised but for the most part supportive.

Quoting Boobah:

You know,I don't remember. I think it was just in passing. My family is no longer surprised by anything I do. Haha!

• FootballFan12
    June 17, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Oh wow, a rant on facebook. That is pretty extreme.

I am glad your mil came around seeing how it was what is best for your family.

Quoting RheaF:

I just told them we were homeschooling. My MIL wrote me a check for private school,lol. I told her i would gladly accept it, and use it for homeschooling stuff. We had another friend go on rant on my Facebook page about how he "knew a homeschooler....". I rolled my eyes, deleted the rant, and ignored them. We got slammed for homeschooling for about a year. Until I eventualy got tired of it and made it very clear that this is what we feel is best for our family, and if someone does not agree that's fine. Just keep your negative opinions to yourself. If they couldn't manage to do that(if they felt the need to constantly tell me how wrong they feel it is), then we would have no choice but to cut ties with them.

That was four years ago. My MIL has since come to love homeschooling,lol. We still have friends who disagree with it, but they no longer voice their opinions to me.

• arwalters
    June 17, 2013 at 6:32 PM
    Since both our parents hsed us, if only for a short time, it was easy to tell them and we've gotten plenty of encouragement. Several friends however are completely against it, my bff saying she doesn't approve that ds won't get any socialization, weakest argument out there IMO & made me a little miffed at first but now I don't care. I know i'm doing what's right for my family
  • kirbymom
    June 17, 2013 at 7:04 PM
    We didn't make any announcements. We just started homeschooling. It was later that people wanted to voice their opinions.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts