Homeschooling Moms

MABmommy
Hello!
June 14, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Hi there! I am new to the IDEA of homeschooling. My one and only son is only a year old, but homeschooling is something I recently started considering. It's kind of funny actually because I am currently going to school to become an elementary teacher. I just become more unhappy with the public school system more and more with everything I learn. And, since we will not be able to afford a private school, homeschool seemed like the next best option. My problem is that my BF is not on board. I have five years to convince him though ;-)

I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some good ideas that will help me convince him. I don't want to feel like I am alone in this because that would make it nearly impossible.

What are some experiences that have made homeschooling work in your family? What are some of the cons to homeschooling? If your kids have experienced homeschool and public school, what are their opinions of each?

Here's a big one - what social and/or sports activities do your kids participate in? Naturally, his biggest argument was the social aspect and I tried to explain that there are homeschool groups and our town has city sports teams. Somehow, that wasn't enough for him.

TIA!

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    June 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Welcome to the group.

Homeschooling has helped make our family closer & stronger as a unit.

My oldest son went to PS for 7 1/2 years from Pre-K to half way through the 6TH grade. He hated PS & loved homeschooling (he graduated this year).

Right now my children aren't in any sport or activities because it is summer & we are waiting until the fall to see what will be offered (the activity's that is my children don't like to play in organized sports). Where we live there is a homeschool sports league that offers just about every kind of sport that is offered in the public school. There is a prom & graduation ceremony every year for the homeschool community, the same group that organizes that also organizes activity's through out the year for the teenagers that are used to help construct a year book for any homeschooler that wants one.

If he ever says he doesn't want your son to be weird because he is homeschooled, tell him that there are weird kids every where & that homeschooling will not make him that way any more then PS will keep him from being that way!

• romacox
    by romacox
    June 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Men usually like the logical approach.  So here are some statistics for him.

Home Schooled Children  Outperform Public Schooled Children

Socialization

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    June 16, 2013 at 1:16 PM

welcome mab!!

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    June 16, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I highly recommend reading the well adjusted child.  http://www.amazon.com/The-Well-Adjusted-Child-Benefits-Homeschooling/dp/1600651070/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371405676&sr=8-1&keywords=well+adjusted+child

I have seen so many benefits.  You can be as active as you want to be in so many areas.  

It is much easier to make sure your kids keep their curiosity and they are learning everything they need to learn.  It also easier for kids to have more time pursue those things they love.  Your kids will also be able to pick their friends and develop much deeper friendships with those they meet.  There is also a much closer bond between parents and children.

Homeschooling Moms