Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mommieof1b4g
New to homeschooling!
June 14, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Hello Im new here to both the group & homeschooling. We will be starting our first yr of home school in August. I'm a sahm of 5. My oldest and my only boy is Ben he is 8 & going into 3rd grade & he is also the one Im going to be HS. Then I have Chastity my 6yr old who is going into 2nd grade. She will be attending regular school. Then Samara my almost 4yr old who will be starting pre-school. Lily who is 2, my only blondy I have realized that blondes are solar powered, it is the only way to explain their...um...uniqueness haha. Then last is my lovely 11month old Lorelai!! Who just happens to be to darn smart for her own good lol.

We, well I, seeing as how Im the one who will be working with him not daddy lol, are only homeschooling my son. It is a decision or well option we had been playing with since late into his 1st grade yr. At the beginning of 2nd grade I told him that this was the yr I would make my choice. If his behavior at school improved I would allow him to remain is normal school, if not he was going to be homeschooled his 3rd grade yr. He was not to happy with the decision we made but he has had a rough time in school. He has some behavioral issues at school & although he is highly above grade level & extremly smart I just feel he will benefit more from homeschooling. I honestly wish I had been homeschooled I know I would have done much better had I been given that option. We are going to try it for a yr & see how it goes, but I in all honesty think I will be keep ing hiom in it till high school. I do want him to have the normal highschool experience.

We are also going to use this yr to get him into therapy & Im hoping that since her will be home most the time that therapy will be easier for him.

He is in boy scouts & loves it!! I worried about him being in home schooling & not having any friends or any social life which is why Im so glad he is in boy scouts & will now only have positive influences around him! At school we were dealing with bullying from other kids & the school basicly did nothing & he has a  HORRIBLE taste in friends lol. He seems to lean towards the most rude & impolite of boys. Im really not sure how else to word it. & because of that he would begin to act like them. 

We are not homeschooling our DD because I honestly don't think it would be good for her. She does well at school, aside from daydreaming & being a bit over social & talkative lol, typical girl I suppose. But she does well in school & does not have any issues.

I do think I want to home school all my kids for the 2 yrs of jr high, maily because I remember Jr. High & I hated it!!! Kids seem to be the worst during those 2 yrs of life. lol.

I hope to get to know you all & any advise you may have for me is greatly appriciated. I hope Im making the right choice. I honestly believe in my heart that my son will do much better in home school. Oh the school we are doing is through the school district here where we ive. e gets a wks worth of work  sees histaer once a wk.

Any questions or advise please feel free to tell me :)

Replies

• motheroffour186
    June 14, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    Look you home school laws in youd area.
    www. havefunteaching.com
    I have to look up my children need to know for that state. Test him to see Hus grade level. Test him to see what is his learning styles. I went to the public library and ask do they have a home school support group
    www.howtohomeschool.com
    WWW.havefunteaching.com
    www.learning styles.com
    We did Magic SchoolBus movies for science
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    June 14, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Welcome to the group. I strongly encourage you to let him have time to transition to homeschooling. Even though you are using the public school to get your curriculum & you have to fallow their rules because of that try make it fun & engaging. Children learn so much better when things are fun & they want to learn it!

As far as him missing out on things that people associate with going to school, homeschoolers all over are starting there own sports teams, having dances & all the other stuff that people fear their children will miss out on being homeschooled.

• mommieof1b4g
    June 14, 2013 at 3:05 PM

we are planning to take him to some museums & things like that as 'field trips'. i heard that from a friend i have to look into finding the homeschool groups up here.

Quoting usmom3:

Welcome to the group. I strongly encourage you to let him have time to transition to homeschooling. Even though you are using the public school to get your curriculum & you have to fallow their rules because of that try make it fun & engaging. Children learn so much better when things are fun & they want to learn it!

As far as him missing out on things that people associate with going to school, homeschoolers all over are starting there own sports teams, having dances & all the other stuff that people fear their children will miss out on being homeschooled.

• romacox
    by romacox
    June 14, 2013 at 5:19 PM

When it comes to their own children, mothers have a natural instinct....trust it.  As a home school workshop leader, I put together a free web page to help people like yourself get started (Getting started - from preK through High School)

How To Home School 

• mommieof1b4g
    June 14, 2013 at 5:25 PM

thank you!

Quoting romacox:

When it comes to their own children, mothers have a natural instinct....trust it.  As a home school workshop leader, I put together a free web page to help people like yourself get started (Getting started - from preK through High School)

How To Home School 

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    June 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM

welcome mommieof1b4g!!!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!