Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
krysxo
Any moms from FL? suggestions on umbrella school?
by krysxo
June 13, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Price is my main concern. Just heard this umbrella option is the best for fl homeschooling mamas. I dont need free but im homeschooling 2 kids. Their curriculum is all paid for. Im not doing a full christian
curriculum (sotw, bible studies, bju science, and other presshill press) rest is secular.

Replies

• krysxo
    by krysxo
    June 13, 2013 at 12:07 AM
    Ive heard alot about homeschool life academy? Ive emailed them but worried on price.. any other GOOD options?
  • coala
    by coala
    June 13, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I know of several in the Central Fl area.

• krysxo
    by krysxo
    June 13, 2013 at 12:40 AM
    Im in hillsborough. But from my understanding alot do state wide?
  • romacox
    by romacox
    June 13, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Here is a list of Umbrella Schools in Florida.  Also you might contact your district coordinator or a home school co-op near you for suggestions as to which one they like. 

• coala
    by coala
    June 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM

We have a mom in our HS group who runs an unbrella school and many of our local members go through her.  I am with midfloridahomeschoolers.....it is a yahoo group.  There is also Circle and and many others.  Most private schools have an umbrella option.  I haven't found anything for less than a $1,000 dollars.  Sadly, I can't remember if that was a month or for the year.  I stopped listening when they gave me the total.

Quoting krysxo:

Im in hillsborough. But from my understanding alot do state wide?

• kmath
    by kmath
    June 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Why do you say the umbrella school is the best option?  Just wondering cause I hadn't heard that.

Quoting krysxo:

Price is my main concern. Just heard this umbrella option is the best for fl homeschooling mamas. I dont need free but im homeschooling 2 kids. Their curriculum is all paid for. Im not doing a full christian
    curriculum (sotw, bible studies, bju science, and other presshill press) rest is secular.

• romacox
    by romacox
    June 13, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Some prefer the umbrella schools, but not everyone does.  It is a matter of preference.   

Quoting kmath:

Why do you say the umbrella school is the best option?  Just wondering cause I hadn't heard that.

Quoting krysxo:

• krysxo
    by krysxo
    June 13, 2013 at 3:14 PM

The FL homeschool groups Im in, perfer going it umbrella school style since you do not have to do the yearly evaluations/portfolios.  All you report is attendance and some of the schools do 2x a year on grades, and you get support and a "real" diploma? Not sure on the later one, as Im still researching this umbrella option. The ones I have heard the most of is: Florida Unschoolers (which is free) and home life academy ( I was told 150 for 2 of my girls) and they do payment plans.

• Maridel
    by Maridel
    June 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Hmm... I read once when I was looking at them of one that was completely free, sponsored by a former homeschooler who wanted to give back. But I don't remember the name. sorry, try googling. 

I don't know of any others, we just do the option where we send notice of intent, keep a portfolio, and send in annual evaluations. I prefer that than having to keep attendance for an umbrella school.

• Maridel
    by Maridel
    June 13, 2013 at 3:18 PM

OH yea I think that was the one, Florida Unschoolers

Quoting krysxo:

The FL homeschool groups Im in, perfer going it umbrella school style since you do not have to do the yearly evaluations/portfolios.  All you report is attendance and some of the schools do 2x a year on grades, and you get support and a "real" diploma? Not sure on the later one, as Im still researching this umbrella option. The ones I have heard the most of is: Florida Unschoolers (which is free) and home life academy ( I was told 150 for 2 of my girls) and they do payment plans.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN