by Mary Fischer
On any given summer afternoon, you really can't go wrong with packing up a picnic basket, heading to the park or beach, and enjoying a lazy day with the family. Who doesn't love indulging in a little quality time while savoring all sorts of delicious treats (and maybe even a little vino if the mood should strike you?)
But while there's definitely nothing wrong with the typical picnic we all know and love -- complete with a Frisbee, sandwiches and potato salad, and a blanket, why not impress everyone by kicking things up a notch and getting a little bit creative?
Incorporating one of these fun picnic themes into your summer activities will keep things interesting, and delight the entire family for sure.
- Fiesta -- Turn your picnic into a south of the border party by packing up tortilla chips, salsa, guacamole, nachos, -- or you could even set up a taco bar. And entertainment is a cinch, especially if you bring along a pinata filled with all sorts of goodies -- and have everyone dress in sombreros.
- Luau -- Bring a little Hawaii to your next picnic by having your family wear leis, and savor traditional luau foods such as tropical fruits like pineapple and coconut. And while roasting a whole pig may be a bit excessive, at least pack pulled pork sandwiches, and don't forget the mai-tais. And everyone will have a blast working off their feast with a little hula dancing and a friendly game of limbo.
- Safari -- Turn your ordinary picnic into an adventure by packing binoculars and taking the family on a wild animal hunt through the "jungle" -- even if you only wind up spotting a few chipmunks. Pack trail mix for snacks along the way, and then once everyone regroups, serve a veggie tray with dips, fruit salad, cheese and crackers, finger sandwiches -- and don't forget the canteens!
- Pirate Beach Party -- Ahoy, Matey! Digging for buried treasure on the beach provides hours of entertainment, and you never know -- you just might find something that's worth your weight in gold. For the menu, serve up grilled chicken with a fresh mango salsa, a yummy rum cake for dessert, and maybe whip up a few mojitos and bring a pitcher of Planter's Punch.
- Circus -- Ok, so your picnic may already be a circus without the theme -- but does it get any more fun than this? Popcorn, Cracker Jacks, peanuts, cotton candy, and hot dogs will make everyone feel like a kid again. And setting up carnival games like a ring toss, fishing while blindfolded, and a balloon popping booth will make sure everyone leaves your picnic a winner.
- Wild West -- Pretend you're on a dude ranch instead of at the park or in your own backyard and serve up baked beans, barbecue ribs, and cornbread, and apple pie or strawberry shortcake for dessert. Have a lasso competition, sit around the campfire to tell stories and sing songs, or get out the cards for a game or two of poker.
Do you picnic?
What kind of fun picnic themes have you tried?
We love picnics! We do shape meals---everything we eat is circles or round.
We do color meals--- eat the rainbow or eat everything one color.
Stars and Stripes-- star fruit, cut cheese into stars, red strawberries and blueberries, strips of sandwiches, etc. (We do that over Labor day and Memorial day each summer)