Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
bluerooffarm
Your objectives
June 12, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Does your state require a list of objectives for the upcoming school year?

Do you keep them very broad so that you don't need to write new ones each year?  Or do you make them very specific to help you with test writing?

If your state doesn't require objectives do you still write some just to keep you on track?  Or do you simply follow your kids' interests?

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    June 12, 2013 at 7:38 AM

My state does require objectives.  I send in the exact same list each year because I keep them very broad:  My student will continue utilizing and expanding his vocabulary skills; My student will continue to expand his knowledge of Mathematical facts; etc.

Even if my state didn't require them, I write very specific obectives on a weekly/monthly basis depending on the subject.  For Science we cover the same unit for nearly a month sometimes, so I only write the objectives at the beginning of the month.  A math unit takes 2 weeks and a spelling unit takes a week, etc.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    June 12, 2013 at 7:46 AM
    My state does not require any objectives. My only objectives for my children are for them to love books, reading, maintain imagination and creativity, and to never lose their love of learning. I follow their interests in all things and trust they will be ready to learn certain things when the time is right. I do like having us write down 7 daily goals. I take karate with my sons so we are big goal setters. Have you ever thought of your children coming up with their own objectives in addition to your own?
  • bluerooffarm
    June 12, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Quoting jen2150:

My state does not require any objectives. My only objectives for my children are for them to love books, reading, maintain imagination and creativity, and to never lose their love of learning. I follow their interests in all things and trust they will be ready to learn certain things when the time is right. I do like having us write down 7 daily goals. I take karate with my sons so we are big goal setters. Have you ever thought of your children coming up with their own objectives in addition to your own?

They help me create the objectives at the beginning of each week.  Plus they helped me come up with the science units we'll be covering next year.

• TJandKarasMom
    June 12, 2013 at 8:07 AM
    Our state doesn't require anything. We did make goals for the year, DH and I did it together and added in things the kids want to learn. This will be our first year so we are still figuring it all out, but I need goals for them or I'm afraid we will just hang out all the time lol
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    June 12, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    That is great. One of the things I love about homeschooling is how parents and children are working together towards a common goal. I love hearing their input and suggestions. What are their favorite areas of science?
    Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting jen2150:

They help me create the objectives at the beginning of each week.  Plus they helped me come up with the science units we'll be covering next year.

• bluerooffarm
    June 12, 2013 at 8:16 AM

They are really all over the board with their science interests.  They asked to go more in depth with body processes, they want to keep a weather chart this year and see where we really stack up, they want to do the night sky during our August campouts, they asked about caves and what different kinds there are and what kinds of rocks make them, and they want to know about the classifications of animals (why are chickens related to hawks and owls but not really related to goats that closely.)  So yeah, all over the place! LOL

Quoting jen2150:

That is great. One of the things I love about homeschooling is how parents and children are working together towards a common goal. I love hearing their input and suggestions. What are their favorite areas of science?
    Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting jen2150:

• kmath
    by kmath
    June 12, 2013 at 8:19 AM

My state doesn't require them, but I will probably write some up with help from DS.  I think if we don't have some specific goals we won't get stuff done.  I doubt I will do weekly goals, but maybe monthly and then overall for the year.  This will be our first year so we will see how it goes.  I already have a list a mile long from him on stuff he wants to learn about.  Let's see if I can get the same kind of list for goals.   :)

• bluerooffarm
    June 12, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Our state doesn't require anything. We did make goals for the year, DH and I did it together and added in things the kids want to learn. This will be our first year so we are still figuring it all out, but I need goals for them or I'm afraid we will just hang out all the time lol

We are really big goal setters.  It's one of the reasons we left the public school.  DS's 1st grade teacher said "he will probably improve" when asked what goals she had for him for the year.

Hanging out sometimes is helpful.  They get bored and start asking questions.  That's how our summer goes.  The first 4 days, they play video games or in the sandbox nonstop and then they are done.  They start asking really out there questions like how do they make marbles.  And we are off to find answers!

• bluerooffarm
    June 12, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Quoting kmath:

My state doesn't require them, but I will probably write some up with help from DS.  I think if we don't have some specific goals we won't get stuff done.  I doubt I will do weekly goals, but maybe monthly and then overall for the year.  This will be our first year so we will see how it goes.  I already have a list a mile long from him on stuff he wants to learn about.  Let's see if I can get the same kind of list for goals.   :)

At the beginning you model goals.  Like : This week let's aim for reading 20 minutes every day.  And let's try to find out the difference between an alligator and a crocodile.

Once they see how to make goals they'll jump on board.  We usually have a nice long list every week.  But at the beginning it was tough because they were used to public school where they had no say.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    June 12, 2013 at 8:25 AM
    If they are interested in the body I recommend the Way we work. It is beyond excellent.
    Quoting bluerooffarm:

They are really all over the board with their science interests.  They asked to go more in depth with body processes, they want to keep a weather chart this year and see where we really stack up, they want to do the night sky during our August campouts, they asked about caves and what different kinds there are and what kinds of rocks make them, and they want to know about the classifications of animals (why are chickens related to hawks and owls but not really related to goats that closely.)  So yeah, all over the place! LOL

Quoting jen2150:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting jen2150:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN