Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
kmath
What are some things you consider essential for homeschooling?
by kmath
May 27, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I am not talking curriculum, more other things like art supplies, games, flashcards, pencils, and other stuff you use.  What are some things you really couldn't do without? 

Replies

• Rust.n.Gears
    May 27, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Our Nooks, Talisman game, latex free pencils, awesome library, Netflix, Ikea drawing paper, white board with lots of markers and crayons to use on it, paint and brushes

• kmath
    by kmath
    May 27, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Never would have thought of Netflix for homeschooling but it does have some awesome documentaries and stuff on there. 

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Our Nooks, Talisman game, latex free pencils, awesome library, Netflix, Ikea drawing paper, white board with lots of markers and crayons to use on it, paint and brushes

• tennisgal
    May 27, 2013 at 10:53 PM

We have decided we LOVE our dry/erase board. I just bought like an 18in board at Walmart for $10 and the kids do their math and spelling races and stuff like that. They love it.

Pencils, pencils, pencils. No matter how many I buy when they're $.10 at back-to-school time I will always run out before spring. 

A few spiral bound notebooks for me to mark down any ideas that pop into my head during school time (like new books, supplies we need, cd's to check out).

Time...I recently told DH that I needed an uninterupted hour every Wednesday (my "office" day at home) to plan, organize and check out books from the library. He is supposed to keep the kids occupied so I can close the door and just get my work done. 

• Rust.n.Gears
    May 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Oh that is one of my great homeschooling tools. We just had an intruder on our property and my 18 year old was the adult in charge. We rushed home to find her with all the kids watching a documentary on India. They are still up watching it and I am not arguing. It is part one of a five part series. This subscription is priceless. We get so much from it. It supplemented a beautiful Oceanography study my teens did a year ago. 

Quoting kmath:

Never would have thought of Netflix for homeschooling but it does have some awesome documentaries and stuff on there. 

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

• kmath
    by kmath
    May 27, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Yeah, there are a couple Ocean documentaries DS loves watching and all the dinosaur ones.  He watched one on mummies with me as well.  I am going to have to keep that in mind for future reference.  :)

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Oh that is one of my great homeschooling tools. We just had an intruder on our property and my 18 year old was the adult in charge. We rushed home to find her with all the kids watching a documentary on India. They are still up watching it and I am not arguing. It is part one of a five part series. This subscription is priceless. We get so much from it. It supplemented a beautiful Oceanography study my teens did a year ago. 

Quoting kmath:

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

• kmath
    by kmath
    May 27, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I have an art easel that has a chalk board on one side and a dry erase board on the other.  DS loves it!  The notebooks are essential for me as well.  I love that you added time, that is one I definitely don't have enough of right now!

Quoting tennisgal:

We have decided we LOVE our dry/erase board. I just bought like an 18in board at Walmart for $10 and the kids do their math and spelling races and stuff like that. They love it.

Pencils, pencils, pencils. No matter how many I buy when they're $.10 at back-to-school time I will always run out before spring. 

A few spiral bound notebooks for me to mark down any ideas that pop into my head during school time (like new books, supplies we need, cd's to check out).

Time...I recently told DH that I needed an uninterupted hour every Wednesday (my "office" day at home) to plan, organize and check out books from the library. He is supposed to keep the kids occupied so I can close the door and just get my work done. 

• motheroffour186
    May 27, 2013 at 11:06 PM
    Yes Netflix help a whole lot with our school library Wii internet pencils crayons blocks print printer paper

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

• blueyedbaker
    May 28, 2013 at 7:45 AM

My laptop (and internet). When I can't figure out something I am glad I have that so I can hunt down the answer. Some of the work books didn't come with the answers and I want to be able to correct the work and make sure I have the correct answer. Plus my oldest has been able to do some reports on her laptop.

• NYCitymomx3
    May 28, 2013 at 8:31 AM

A whiteboard with lots of colored markers

Pencil-top erasers

A camera

Lots of field trips

Games (Yahtzee, Scrabble, Monopoly, Set, 10 Days in ___ , Smart Ass, etc)

Teaching your kids how to run a home (budgeting, banking, cooking, laundry, shopping, sewing, first-aid, cleaning, etc)

At least 1 regular outside activity (sports, scouts, performing arts, crafts, etc)

• bluerooffarm
    May 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM

White board
    magnetic board
    a PLANNER for each kid!! 
    A camera. 
    Erasers. 
    Our math manipulatives (we really could not function without them!)
    Lapdesks

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN