Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
LavenderMom23
shaving cream
May 27, 2013 at 3:17 PM
The kids are bored, so I thought why not let them play shaving cream. Dh is protesting saying the bottle says "keep out of reach " of children. Do you let your kids play in it? What alternatives are there?

Replies

• Jenn8604
    May 27, 2013 at 3:18 PM
    My son learned to write in shaving cream in his Occupational Therapy.
  • kmath
    by kmath
    May 27, 2013 at 3:18 PM

As long as they are old enough to not try to eat it or stick it in their eyes I wouldn't have a problem with it.  As for alternatives you could use whipped cream in the spray cans.  I think they work as well.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 27, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    My kids play in shaving cream all the time. We have mixed a can of shaving cream with a box of corn starch to make fake snow & they played in it for hours. You can also make fake snow with 1/2 cup of conditioner or lotion & 3 cups of baking soda to make fake snow too.
  • JTE11
    by JTE11
    May 27, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I would let kids play in it if they aren't still putting things into thir mouths (like my DD does) and could keep it out of their eyes. I prefer to give her a tub of Cool Whip in a clean bathtub. :) You can give them a paintbrush and let them go to town. Then you just run the water and clean it all up with a bath.

• mem82
    by mem82
    May 27, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I let them.

• mem82
    by mem82
    May 27, 2013 at 4:06 PM

You could use whip cream.

• LavenderMom23
    May 27, 2013 at 10:07 PM
    Thanks ladies
  • maggiemom2000
    May 27, 2013 at 10:25 PM

We let our kids play with it! A quick google search and you'll find lots of photos of kids playing with it, maybe that would put his mind at ease!

http://crunchysouthernmama.blogspot.com/2012/09/finger-painting-with-shaving-cream.html

Finger Painting with Shaving Cream

Today we finger painted with shaving cream and food coloring.  Another pinterest idea I saw months ago!  It being Friday, a fun project was in order!

All that is needed is shaving cream and food coloring!

It's much more fun to use your fingers, but it will slightly stain hands.  If the stain bothers you, you might want to get paint brushes.  I figured with my young ones it was going to be messy anyway.  That's what baths are for, right!? :-D

I just put a huge glob of shaving cream on a foam plate and then added a small drop of Walton cake icing gel.  Mixed it in well, and walla!

It was an instant hit!  

Liam kept saying "Thanks so much mom! This was so so fun!!!"
    Little does he know, these sensory projects are mainly for him. ;)

Jonah loved it!  He knows the drill, if you put it in your mouth, you can't do this anymore.  So... He decided to get extra creative!

First he pats his head!

Then gives me the "why are you laughing at me???" Look!!!

Then he touches his face!!! We were all rolling.  Then he got some on his lips by mistake and started getting upset because of the bad taste in his mouth and I had to spray him off.

As always, Jemima was the last one to finish up!  She stayed at that table making pictures till all the shaving cream was used up.

Don't you just LOVE her tattoo?!? She got it at the movies the other day when she went with a friend.  She thinks she is big stuff!

Clean up was super easy!  After everyone was done, I just sprayed the table and plates off and left them out to dry. Then let the kids play in the water to wash off.  Very fun!

We will be doing this again in the near future! The "paint" dried amazingly well.  I would love to try this on canvas one day!  I think it would look really cool.  I would love to hang something like that up in my sewing/school room!

Happy Weekend!!!
  • No_Difference
    May 28, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I used to have my daughter practice writing on the table with shaving cream and using her finger... I don't see whats wrong it it :)

• TJandKarasMom
    May 29, 2013 at 2:44 AM
    I let my kids I think only once, but really just because we didn't have time when they were little, let the mom guilt set in for a minute, lol.

But I had nothing against it and I have used it in ps as a prek teacher and special Ed teacher. It's a great thing for sensory issues and just fun for little ones!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts