Homeschooling Moms

krysxo
Desperately needing curriculum help!!
by krysxo
May 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Okay, Im going to be homeschooling a 1st grader (who seems to be advanced in reading), and a 3rd grader (she is just finnishing 2nd grade and is being held back in 2nd grade with public school from lack of reading/comp and handwriting.) This is what I was going to do:

• Reading: Explode the Code (I found 2-5 including 1/2 books on swaps already)
  •  Math: MUS have Alpha - Gamma
  •  History: SOTW Vol. 1 set
  • Science: I have BJU Science 3 with tests, and Im getting Scott Foresman science 1 for my youngest
  •  I was going Growing with Grammar, Soaring with Spelling and Winning with Writing.

Ok- my questions: 1- I have been hearing ETC isnt a solid reading curriculum, so Im freaking out ( Im on a strict budget thats why Im looking on swaps!) What else can I do if its not enough?! Also grammar, writing, and spelling is going to cost me 100$ and I can never find it on swaps or homeschoolclassified or ebay... is there anything else I can do that you can suggest? I'm going crazy I dont want to "fail" my kids with not getting them a good solid foundations in subjects.

Replies

• Precious333
    May 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    For reading we just get books they like and can.read,.we also have eclectic reader (my oldest is graduating first grade). We also use classical method, www.classicalconversations.com has a catalogue and they have something for writing for that age level as well.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    May 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM
    Get books from the library and have her read them. You can ask her questions to help her build comprehension. You can type up your own worksheets and print them out. That's the cheapest way to do things.
  • krysxo
    by krysxo
    May 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM

What would you recommend as a reading list? for a 1st and 2nd grade level.

Quoting mem82:

Get books from the library and have her read them. You can ask her questions to help her build comprehension. You can type up your own worksheets and print them out. That's the cheapest way to do things.

• RockEducation
    May 26, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    You can just type in recommended reading list for second graders (example) and you will have many choices.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    May 26, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    Our library has a list posted and you can find them on line. My son who is heading to third is a little behind so I don't know any off the top of my head. 8)

Quoting krysxo:

What would you recommend as a reading list? for a 1st and 2nd grade level.

Quoting mem82:

• all2gethernow
    May 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    Teacher Created Resources has awesome lit packs for many books on all levels. They are cheap and come in ebook format. Google them:) we love them.
  • all2gethernow
    May 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM
    Pm me with ur email. I will send you some for free:)

Quoting all2gethernow:

Teacher Created Resources has awesome lit packs for many books on all levels. They are cheap and come in ebook format. Google them:) we love them.

• krysxo
    by krysxo
    May 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    Also what is a good grammar writting spelling thats budget friendly?
  • krysxo
    by krysxo
    May 26, 2013 at 2:50 PM
    Bump
  • mem82
    by mem82
    May 26, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    Spectrum workbooks are nice. They are 10 bucks a pop.

Quoting krysxo:

Also what is a good grammar writting spelling thats budget friendly?

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts