Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Cafe MichelleP
OT: I Keep My House a Mess on Purpose and Here is Why
May 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I Keep My House a Mess on Purpose but I Have a Good Reason

by Mary Fischer

messy deskSigh. For over a week, I've been frantically searching my house for my son's Little League hat, because it's totally embarrassing for us to keep showing up on the ball field without it. I literally combed this place from top to bottom trying to locate the damn thing to no avail, and I'd all but given up -- until yesterday evening.

That's when I just happened to open the top drawer of my son's dresser, and lo and behold, there was the hat. Want to know why it was there? I'd put it in that drawer a couple weekends ago -- so I wouldn't lose it. So when his next game or practice rolled around, I'd know exactly where to go to grab it and we could be on our merry way.

But you know what? If I'd simply left it lying on top of the washing machine or kitchen island where it usually winds up -- I would've had no problem figuring out where it was.

Here's the thing -- I'm not a messy person, but my house isn't exactly clutter-free the majority of the time. And once in a while, I get all ballsy and wild and decide I'm going to clean up and organize things -- but every time I do, I have at least one thing I simply cannot find anywhere on any given day of the week.

Like the bills, for instance. After I grab the mail each day, instead of putting it neatly away in a folder or something like that, I leave it on the desk in our kitchen. And it stacks up there until I finally find a few minutes to go through it at the end of the week and separate the junk from the bills. And I've never lost one of those bills, except for the time I cleaned out the desk and proceeded to try and separate the mail into different drawers. I'm not really sure what happened, but somewhere between sorting and stashing, I lost three or four bills that month and had to pay the $10 fee to settle them over the phone. (Never again.)

And I really think it's time for me to surrender to the fact that my house will never, ever, EVER (take that, Taylor Swift) look like something out of the pages of the Pottery Barn catalog. What can I say? I thrive on things being in a state of disarray at all times. And I'm ok with that. As strange as it sounds, I function better when my life is literally a mess than when it's all tidy and put together. Yes, things look a whole lot prettier when there aren't books, papers, toys, clothes, jackets, shoes, and laundry baskets all over the place -- but I'll take a few eyesores any day over digging through every area of my house like a madwoman attempting to locate a freakin' hat.

Do you organize everything in your home, or are you ok with messes?

Replies

• No_Difference
    May 24, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Hahaha. I try and clean and organize, and we can never find anything ever lol. The mess drives me NUTS though!! What drives me crazy is when after I get everything cleaned and organized, everyone will put the effort in for a week. We start geting used to how things are, and then hubby starts reverting, and then the kids follow suit, and then I'm stuck being the only one cleaning up the disaster that follows and then I have a melt down. Things are where the "should" be, and yet they're not where they normally are anymore either. If we have things we don't want to lose, we have an actual box that says, "Don't want to lose this!" on top of our fridge. That way, all papers or objects that are important and needed in a relatively near future, goes in there so it's not forgotton or put into one of those "I'll put it here so I won't lose it" spots lol

• tairakittie
    May 24, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I am the same way, organized chaos.

• lil_mama06
    May 24, 2013 at 3:27 PM

My daughter Katie did a mixed media and named it Organized Chaos. It won Best In Show. She was a freshman at the time..Now she's 19 and going to start college in the fall. Time passed soo quickly...I'm a messy myself..

Quoting tairakittie:

I am the same way, organized chaos.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts