Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
TexanMomOf6
Curriculum jackpot!
May 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM

One year my kids were in PS and I was a teachers' aide. At the end of the year the janitors placed bins in the halls for teachers to purge their "outdated" books and materials.  I asked if it was okay for me to take some home. The Principal said "Carry it all home, it's going to be recycled" I had many years of curriculum including flashcards, textbooks, worksheets, notebooks, even colors, pens, rulers....  Maybe you can do it too?

Replies

• lil_mama06
    May 23, 2013 at 11:32 PM

That's cool.. 

• kmath
    by kmath
    May 24, 2013 at 8:28 AM

That is really cool.  DS came home from school yesterday and had all four of the Language Arts books he had used this past year.  His teacher is getting new ones next year.  While it is cool she sent them home, not sure what I am going to do with them as he has already used them.  I might see if any of the 2nd grade teachers have anything for me.  Thanks for the idea! 

• AutymsMommy
    May 24, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Good score!

Regarding your question "maybe you can do it too" - possibly, but I wouldn't want to. It's fun to pick out curriculum, I enjoy catering to their learning styles, I don't care for the textbooks used by our public schools, and I prefer things that aren't geared toward a public school classroom (for sake of ease, lol).

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    May 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM

fantastic!!! i love those school sales and give aways! i can make use of anything i find!

thats how i got all my saxon math books, the schools didnt want them anymore so i grabbed them all , sold a few extra copies, and kept the rest

• ColtsFan1912
    May 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Ooo that's awesome.

Our college use to do that. They'd give away books when they were getting new ones. i picked up a few way back when.

• wunderwifey
    May 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM
    I did that with my university a few years ago. And my mom ( a PS teacher) just sent me stuff from a conference she went to.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    May 25, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    I am jealous!!
  • KickButtMama
    May 25, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I actually post an ad on our local FREECYCLE board at the end of each semester, asking local PS teachers for their extras - we always get tons!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN