Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
chotovec82
Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons
May 23, 2013 at 8:15 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! I am using it for both my oldest (he is a struggling reader) and my middle (5 yrs). My 5 yr old, Kai, is doing great. We are on the third lesson and he is getting it! Now he is blending better than he has before and he is delighted that he is doing so well. Iam so happy. I also think it's helping my oldest but it's too easy right now. I can't wait until we get further along to see how well this does for them. I know this glee might be premature but I am so excited!

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 23, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Glade to here it is working for you!

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    May 23, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Glad it works for you. Homeschoolers either love or hate this book! I admit I had it twice and could never buy into its techiniques. I wanted to like it, though.

• chotovec82
    May 23, 2013 at 9:04 PM
    It is an interesting approach. I tried phonics (specifically Hooked On Phonics) but Kai could never get the blending the words together. He would say for C.A.T. Ca A Ta. CaAta. No matter how hard I tried to explain to him about blending he would always end up with CaAta and spaces between each sound. It was frustrating for us both.

Quoting lucsch:

Glad it works for you. Homeschoolers either love or hate this book! I admit I had it twice and could never buy into its techiniques. I wanted to like it, though.

• 101stwife
    May 23, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I have this for my 5yo daughter and love it!

• opal10161973
    May 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM

We aren't homeschoolers, but my DD has been having trouble learning how to read and is behind and I wanted something for her to work on over the summer.  This looks like what I was hoping to find.  Thank you for posting this! 

BTW She doesn't do well with phonics or sight words, so I was looking for something different. 

• sdgd21
    by sdgd21
    May 23, 2013 at 11:32 PM
    I've been wanting to try it... May I will.
  • chotovec82
    May 23, 2013 at 11:55 PM
    How old is she? I am using it with my 7 y.o. DS and it is boring to begin with for him. However he can read the level one "I can read books" fairly well. But I am sticking with it. From the start to the end... Hopefully it strengthens his skills.

Quoting opal10161973:

We aren't homeschoolers, but my DD has been having trouble learning how to read and is behind and I wanted something for her to work on over the summer.  This looks like what I was hoping to find.  Thank you for posting this! 

BTW She doesn't do well with phonics or sight words, so I was looking for something different. 

• opal10161973
    May 24, 2013 at 12:39 AM

She just turned 6 and is behind in this one thing.  I know that some kids hit a certain age and just 'get it', but I think with some more attention, she will pick it up sooner.  She has really not done well with other ways of learning to read, so my hope is that by trying something a bit different, that it will click for her.  I know that I had to get some help when I was in 1st grade and proceeded quickly from there with one on one attention.  I am an avid reader now, so my hope is to just help her over this hump and she will take off.  I would love to see that. 

Quoting chotovec82:

How old is she? I am using it with my 7 y.o. DS and it is boring to begin with for him. However he can read the level one "I can read books" fairly well. But I am sticking with it. From the start to the end... Hopefully it strengthens his skills.

Quoting opal10161973:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN