Homeschooling Moms

tiredmomfor2
The Book Challenge
May 22, 2013 at 3:36 PM
My dd (5) expressed an interest Today, in rereading a chapter book that I had read to her a few months ago. I checked the back and it is a little above her current level, but she is determined to read the whole thing.
So I figured I would take her eagerness and run with it. Lol I told her for every chapter book she read this Summer I would give her a prize. She is all over that!
I told her brother the same thing. He is doing very well with reading, but is not very motivated to do so.
*he is reading a chapter book as I write this ;)*
bribery? Yes..but the libraries do the same thing with their reading programs. Lol
now to come up with adequate prizes before they finish the first ones! Haha.
I'm trying to decide between another book? Or a little trinket of some sort, possibly a pack of stickers for each book.

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM

What ever you pick as the reward you need to make it something that they will really like & want because if it isn't good then the next book will be deemed not worth the time to get the prize. That is the drawback to rewarding reading!

We are trying a different tactic here, we are starting a family book club. We all agree on a book to read & read it at the same time & talk about it after reading it. For the younger 2 that are not strong readers I read the book out loud at bedtime (I read to them at bedtime already so this is not a new thing) our hope is that they will see the enjoymnet & camaraderie it will create in our family & see reading & books as great things to spend time with.

• tiredmomfor2
    May 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    Yeah. I had considered that thought as well. They are crazy for stickers, so that will probably do the trick. :)
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 22, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Then you probably wont have a problem.

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Yeah. I had considered that thought as well. They are crazy for stickers, so that will probably do the trick. :)

• lil_mama06
    May 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    Sounds great.Good luck..
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    May 23, 2013 at 9:57 AM

oh yea good idea, it works for my kids!

i remember when 25 cents was a prize!!

• No_Difference
    May 23, 2013 at 1:08 PM

We're considering doing the Barnes & Noble summer reading thing - read 8 books, record it on their form, get a free book from their list.
    We're doing the summer reading program at the library too - for every book, or pages (depending on the age of the child), they get a ...prize?... (a piece of paper cut in different shapes lol). At the end of summer, they can cash in their prizes, and "purchase" books. (many used library books that are still in really good condition that they have multiple copies of, and some new books) There are occasionally Audio CDs, and computer games involving reading/reading comprehension/learning to read etc too.
    In the end - they get more books lol

• LavenderMom23
    May 23, 2013 at 9:53 PM

here's an idea: a dollar a book for the chapter books and 50 cents for the smaller books. At the end of x weeks they can spend the money at a bookstore.

• coala
    by coala
    May 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I like the idea of this.  I have one that thinks she is struggling and has come a long way in just 2 mos.  She has gone from reading beginner books to reading larger chapter books.  She seems to enjoy herself, but will tell people that she doens't like reading.  I have signed up for book it next year to help with the reading and reward issue.  I will have to check out the libraries program too, no that I have 2 readers.

• HarrisonMD
    May 24, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Maybe try a "contest" with them with the sticker chart? Who ever reads the most books or get's the most stickers, get's ????? That might motivate your DS? Good Luck and Have fun!

Homeschooling Moms