Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
QueenAtargatis
Leaving public school...
May 22, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Hi ladies! My daughters are 7 & 2 years old. My oldest is in first grade, and this will be her past year in public school. I've been going back and forth with our decision, but I really feel it's right for us as this school year comes to a close.

Anyway, I've obviously discussed this with my daughter to see what her thoughts are. She knows what the plan is. Yesterday, her teacher approached me and asked me about it. She asked WHY? I was caught off guard to say the least, and just mumbled something about doing a lot of research and thinking it will be good for her.

Then she said if I need any help/advice from her before the school year ends to prepare, feel free to ask! So, what kind of information can I ask for from her? I'd love to use her as a resource while I have her available, but I'm drawing a blank. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    May 22, 2013 at 11:07 AM

ive no idea what you could ask her? wait what about websites that would help? if there was websites that helped with anything, what about where they get supplies? wonder what shes thinking herself about homeschooling?

• QueenAtargatis
    May 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM
    I got the feeling she's a little offended, maybe. She's a very friendly, outgoing woman - and she seemed a bit surprised.

I have no idea, either. My head is telling me to grab the opportunity to use her as a resource, but I've got nothing specific to ask. Websites are a good one! =]

Quoting oredeb:

ive no idea what you could ask her? wait what about websites that would help? if there was websites that helped with anything, what about where they get supplies? wonder what shes thinking herself about homeschooling?

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    I would just chalk that offer up to her being polite & not really meaning it especially since you say she seams offended by you homeschooling.
  • bluerooffarm
    May 22, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I really wouldn't ask her for anything.  Her asking why and seeming offended by you homeschooling puts up some red flags here.  My oldest had a teacher who was shocked and a bit offended by my decision to homeschool.  The school tried putting a case before CPS.  They misfiled our paperwork so that they could call the truancy officer and his teacher asked me if I needed any help or advice.  I asked a few innocuous questions about diagnostic tests and she reported my question to the school's homeschooling liason.  So I needed to have a meeting with her before she would accept my affidavit for homeschooling.  I live in a strict state, so my first year was tainted by needing to answer to all of these claims.

Thankfully my anal side helped me out.  I had my affadavit sent via registered mail, so I had a receipt that proved they had my paperwork (truancy officer apologized), I had printed off and filed all emails with teacher (so the liason was able to see that I had only asked about the DIBELS and diagnostic test standings that every other parent should have asked for.)

I'm not saying she is trying to trap you or build any case against you, but be wary of help from a public school official.  They lose funding when they lose students.

• happymom629
    May 23, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Defiinitely do NOT ask her for any advice, even though she said that That is just fishing for a CPS call

• QueenAtargatis
    May 23, 2013 at 6:28 AM
    Oh my goodness. I never even thought about this! How awful.

I'm not very anal, or assertive... So perhaps I should stop being naive about the possibility of a horror story here. We live in a pretty lenient state, but that's still kinda scary. Now I'm wishing my daughter never told her. Haha.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I really wouldn't ask her for anything.  Her asking why and seeming offended by you homeschooling puts up some red flags here.  My oldest had a teacher who was shocked and a bit offended by my decision to homeschool.  The school tried putting a case before CPS.  They misfiled our paperwork so that they could call the truancy officer and his teacher asked me if I needed any help or advice.  I asked a few innocuous questions about diagnostic tests and she reported my question to the school's homeschooling liason.  So I needed to have a meeting with her before she would accept my affidavit for homeschooling.  I live in a strict state, so my first year was tainted by needing to answer to all of these claims.

Thankfully my anal side helped me out.  I had my affadavit sent via registered mail, so I had a receipt that proved they had my paperwork (truancy officer apologized), I had printed off and filed all emails with teacher (so the liason was able to see that I had only asked about the DIBELS and diagnostic test standings that every other parent should have asked for.)

I'm not saying she is trying to trap you or build any case against you, but be wary of help from a public school official.  They lose funding when they lose students.

• trendy2
    by trendy2
    May 23, 2013 at 6:33 AM
    My ds teacher has been very helpful to me. He is in K this year. I'm sure she means well. Most people are curious because like me before I decided to HS, I surely didn't understand my sil reasoning for choosing to hs her kids who are the same age as mine. Now that I have my own reasons, it makes all the sense in the world. Pick her brain. Take all the help and info a person is willing to share is my motto. GL.
  • bluerooffarm
    May 23, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I'm glad I could give the perspective.  Remember that we will help you out and answer any questions you have, here.  We are more than happy to help out other homeschoolers.  Some people have never had a horror story, but many of us have.  I just play it better safe than sorry anymore.  :-)

Quoting QueenAtargatis:

Oh my goodness. I never even thought about this! How awful.

I'm not very anal, or assertive... So perhaps I should stop being naive about the possibility of a horror story here. We live in a pretty lenient state, but that's still kinda scary. Now I'm wishing my daughter never told her. Haha.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• LavenderMom23
    May 23, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Good luck with your adventure in home schooling it is GREAT! use these groups, we are friendly, supportive, and love to help out!

• AutymsMommy
    May 26, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Huh? And what would she say? "A former student is homeschooling - worthy of a call to you guys!"

Don't be paranoid.

OP - when I pulled my child out, her teacher (a very nice older man), offered the same. Him and I had a meeting before we left the school and the best advice he would give me was actually just the feedback and observations he had made about my dd's progress, weaknesses, and strengths.

... and guess what? No CPS call or visit.

Quoting happymom629:

Defiinitely do NOT ask her for any advice, even though she said that That is just fishing for a CPS call

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN