Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
chotovec82
Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons
May 21, 2013 at 7:03 PM
I have a first grader whom I started homeschooling this year. The public school he was in let him get behind in reading. For instance he couldn't read a lick by the end of it. They were doing sight words and skipping words and guessing. He didn't learn any phonics. I bought Hooked on Phonics and started him on the Kindergarten program during the summer. He did make a ton of progress however he is still not at grade level. I bought the book, Teach Your Child How To Read in 100 Easy Lessons," for my younger son and considered restarting Aiden (oldest DS) as well. So now I am unsure because the book says not to use for struggling readers. I thought that if I started him all over using this method then he would at least get up to grade level. Has other people started this book when their child was struggling? Did it work? Do you think it's a bad idea to start him over using this book. Input is appreciated.

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 21, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I tried that book with my DD & she hated it so I would not try it with a struggling reader. What I would try with them thought are fun silly books that are enjoyableto read. My kids love a series of books called Elephant & Piggy.

• 101stwife
    May 22, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I just started this with my daughter who will be starting kindergarten this fall and she has done so well with it! But, she is just learning. I would think it would be ok to use since they do not teach phonics in school, just sight words. Couldn't hurt!

• chotovec82
    May 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    I just started with my middle DS that starts Kinder this fall. WE did Hooked On Phonics some too but he didn't get the blending concepts. I'll say that The 100 EZ lessons is doing great for that so far. I am just unsure if it will help my oldest. I don't think he's really behind in reading but he is some. I don't believe that he received a strong foundation in PS. Hopefully some more ladies can help me.

Quoting 101stwife:

I just started this with my daughter who will be starting kindergarten this fall and she has done so well with it! But, she is just learning. I would think it would be ok to use since they do not teach phonics in school, just sight words. Couldn't hurt!

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    May 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM

wow i didnt know it said not to use with struggling readers, a friend of mine used it on her 7 yr old boy who just couldnt learn from anything else, but that book helped him for some reason, maybe the short lessons, they child was a very active one also!

have you looked at 'all about reading' i hear thats a very good program, havent heard anything negative yet,

• hipmomto3
    May 22, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I have used this book to teach all 3 of my children to read. Maybe it would be frustrating for a child who already knows *some* phonics but you could always just not do the entire lessons - in fact, we always end up doing that by halfway through, because the lessons become tedious if the child is already "getting it" with reading. 

• chotovec82
    May 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    I'm on a limited budget right now and have already purchased HOP last summer. I cannot justify buying AAR when it will be around 100 dollars also. I have tried ebay but again it gets pretty pricey. I was hoping that using that book plus HOP would help more. We also have an online reading program that I subscribed to from educents or whatever that site is. Aiden is currently reading level one and level 2 readers. Level threes we try to read but it's not very fluent. I'm just not sure what to do except start at the very beginning again.

Quoting oredeb:

wow i didnt know it said not to use with struggling readers, a friend of mine used it on her 7 yr old boy who just couldnt learn from anything else, but that book helped him for some reason, maybe the short lessons, they child was a very active one also!

have you looked at 'all about reading' i hear thats a very good program, havent heard anything negative yet,

• hipmomto3
    May 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I've always heard that boys read (or, find a love of reading) later than girls. I always thought, well sure, but not MY boy! HA! And am now finding it to be true. My boy is 7. His older and younger sisters both enjoy reading far more than he does. I have to always remind myself not to compare, and that if he's reading better today than he did a month ago, and if he's reading better a month from now than he is today, THAT is success. It will happen, just maybe not as quickly as I want it to.

• chotovec82
    May 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    He doesn't seem to mind reading; it's just that he stumbles often over words that I feel like he should know by now. I check out of the library a bunch of very boyish books to help keep him occupied with it. He didn't mind the HOP program (however I had a hard time sticking to it so it might be failing because of me). I'm just gonna try and work harder with him. He is doing so great in everything else. He whizzes through math, loves grammar, enjoys spanish, loves science and history- it's just reading. I don't want to fail him.

Quoting hipmomto3:

I've always heard that boys read (or, find a love of reading) later than girls. I always thought, well sure, but not MY boy! HA! And am now finding it to be true. My boy is 7. His older and younger sisters both enjoy reading far more than he does. I have to always remind myself not to compare, and that if he's reading better today than he did a month ago, and if he's reading better a month from now than he is today, THAT is success. It will happen, just maybe not as quickly as I want it to.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    May 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM

maybe keep going on what you are using now, over the summer, might help, doing it everyday for an half hour or so? thats what helped my son get reading down, he was ready at about 71/2 and we just went the whole summer/winter and did it everyday. or have you already been doing that this year? what kind of learner is your son?

Quoting chotovec82:

I'm on a limited budget right now and have already purchased HOP last summer. I cannot justify buying AAR when it will be around 100 dollars also. I have tried ebay but again it gets pretty pricey. I was hoping that using that book plus HOP would help more. We also have an online reading program that I subscribed to from educents or whatever that site is. Aiden is currently reading level one and level 2 readers. Level threes we try to read but it's not very fluent. I'm just not sure what to do except start at the very beginning again.

Quoting oredeb:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN