Homeschooling Moms

usmom3
No Such Thing As Unschooling Failure
by usmom3
BJ
May 20, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I found this to be a great read & thought that some of you might like to read it too! CLICK ME FOR THE ARTICLE

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    May 20, 2013 at 10:47 PM
    I did enjoy reading that.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    May 20, 2013 at 10:49 PM
    Even though I don't unschool I appreciate the part about thinking that public school standards are really or that every pser is actually hitting them.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 20, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Quoting mem82:

Even though I don't unschool I appreciate the part about thinking that public school standards are really or that every pser is actually hitting them.

I am glad that you liked it & that you got something from it. I think a lot of the time we all have this false image of what our children should look like when learning & what they should all have mastered at their different ages. When in reality only a small percent of children learn in the conventional way well & most don't know all that we are told they should!

• mem82
    by mem82
    May 20, 2013 at 11:02 PM
    Yes!

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting mem82:

I am glad that you liked it & that you got something from it. I think a lot of the time we all have this false image of what our children should look like when learning & what they should all have mastered at their different ages. When in reality only a small percent of children learn in the conventional way well & most don't know all that we are told they should!

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    May 21, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Thanks I really enjoyed the article.  We are somewhere between eclectic and unschooling.  We do use curriculum so I don't usually say that we are unschoolers.  All our curriculum is led by their interests.  I loved the part about multiplication.  My son will be in 6th grade next year and has learned most of his times tables by just playing with math.  He struggled with his times tables until I finally wised and stopped trying to teach them to him.  I just gave him a chart and told to go have fun with it.  I even backed off writing for a while because it was so hard on him.  This past year he started his own blog and is writing a 60 page story on legos.  He just naturally became a writer all on his own.

• lil_mama06
    May 21, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Thanks for sharing..I know I am too hard on myself in thinking I'm not doing enough. I should give unschooling a try.  

Homeschooling Moms