Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
ClassicalMom3
Looking for suggestions
May 19, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I will have a first grader and second grader. I am looking for suggestions for history, geography and social studies. I am open to full curriculum and/or resources. I would prefer secular, but could work with Christian I think :)

Thanks.

Replies

• hipmomto3
    May 19, 2013 at 8:32 PM

We use Sonlight cores and they are havy in history, geography, and cultures. They use some texts, but mainly teach through great literature.

We are Christians (Mormon) but not all of Sonlight's stuff appeals to us (the evangelical/missionary stuff we sort of skip over) but it's an excellent program.

• Leahsmom2007
    May 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Hey! I would be interested in what curriculum you do. Do you do any religious curriculum? We're Mormon also. I'm just planning on pulling things from the FHE book, etc.

Quoting hipmomto3:

We use Sonlight cores and they are havy in history, geography, and cultures. They use some texts, but mainly teach through great literature.

We are Christians (Mormon) but not all of Sonlight's stuff appeals to us (the evangelical/missionary stuff we sort of skip over) but it's an excellent program.

• ClassicalMom3
    May 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Thanks! I'll look into it 

Quoting hipmomto3:

• hipmomto3
    May 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM

We don't include our 'religious' stuff as part of school. We read scriptures together as a family in the morning during breakfast. FHE once a week at night, we work with our oldest on memorizing articles of faith at night after the younger ones are in bed. But during 'school' time we don't do anything really religious or anything. 

For the most part, Sonlight has been fine. There have been a few instances where we skipped a book entirely, for religious or political reasons. 

When my kids were younger, for craft time we'd sometimes do things from The Friend, or one of those Sharing Time Treasures books.

Quoting Leahsmom2007:

Hey! I would be interested in what curriculum you do. Do you do any religious curriculum? We're Mormon also. I'm just planning on pulling things from the FHE book, etc.

Quoting hipmomto3:

• Leahsmom2007
    May 19, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Thanks  for your thoughts :)

Quoting hipmomto3:

We don't include our 'religious' stuff as part of school. We read scriptures together as a family in the morning during breakfast. FHE once a week at night, we work with our oldest on memorizing articles of faith at night after the younger ones are in bed. But during 'school' time we don't do anything really religious or anything. 

For the most part, Sonlight has been fine. There have been a few instances where we skipped a book entirely, for religious or political reasons. 

When my kids were younger, for craft time we'd sometimes do things from The Friend, or one of those Sharing Time Treasures books.

Quoting Leahsmom2007:

Quoting hipmomto3:

• Precious333
    May 19, 2013 at 10:08 PM
    Www.classicalconversations.com

We use a classical method, my kids are young and they are in the foundations program. It goes from ages 4-12 and covers history, science, geography, english grammar, latin, math and fine arts.

The website has more info :)

It is religious based, but it can and has been used by secular homeschoolers as well.
  • Leahsmom2007
    May 19, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I"m starting 1st grade with my daughter as well. I'm planning on just doing social studies a couple times a week from local resources etc. I don't think in 1st grade it should be too difficult to plan a lesson for the subject a few times a week. I hope it works. If not I'll be looking to. Good luck!

• ClassicalMom3
    May 19, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I was thinking about doing that, too. I have come across a few "living books" lists of stories and books that you can teach history through. I have always loved geography so I have tons of maps and atlases. Our library has a lot of books too. I might give making my own a try for the first year and see how it goes. 

Quoting Leahsmom2007:

I"m starting 1st grade with my daughter as well. I'm planning on just doing social studies a couple times a week from local resources etc. I don't think in 1st grade it should be too difficult to plan a lesson for the subject a few times a week. I hope it works. If not I'll be looking to. Good luck!

• hipmomto3
    May 19, 2013 at 10:44 PM

You can also go to  Sonlight's website and see which books are included in each core, just to get a reading list. I am actually doing that this (upcoming) year because we need to take a year off the strict lesson plans to get everyone on the same page. So I am picking/choosing books from each of 3 different cores - I first see if my public library has it, and if not, then if it's cheaper through Amazon or Sonlight. :)

• ClassicalMom3
    May 19, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I went to look at their website after you posted and I saved the book list, lol 

Quoting hipmomto3:

You can also go to  Sonlight's website and see which books are included in each core, just to get a reading list. I am actually doing that this (upcoming) year because we need to take a year off the strict lesson plans to get everyone on the same page. So I am picking/choosing books from each of 3 different cores - I first see if my public library has it, and if not, then if it's cheaper through Amazon or Sonlight. :)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts