Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
romacox
Just Got Invited...Reading literacy
by romacox
May 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I am excited and just had to share with friends.  I am doing another  work at the University Of North Florida tomorrow, and just got invited to do a Reading Workshop at the Florida Literacy Conference in September.  Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined these things, but I am so grateful. . 

Replies

• SusanTheWriter
    May 19, 2013 at 12:08 PM

That's wonderful! Congrats!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 19, 2013 at 12:34 PM
    Congratulations
  • kmath
    by kmath
    May 19, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Congratulations!

• rhiannonaisling
    May 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Wonderful. Congrats.

• LocoCountryMama
    May 19, 2013 at 2:08 PM
    Congrats!
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    May 20, 2013 at 10:08 AM

ohhhh wow roma!! thats so exciting and congratulations!!! your gona be hellping lots of kids! let us know how it goes

• mem82
    by mem82
    May 20, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    So exciting! What will be your focus?
  • romacox
    by romacox
    May 20, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement. It feels mighty good. 

It was so much fun.  I do an interactive workshop where the audience participates, and they loved it.

As for my focus:  I am a tutor with an unusual amount of success in helping children with reading by using whole brain teaching.  My reputation is now such that some college professors are asking me to teach my method.  It still amazes me that they would ask little old me, but I am glad they are. 

Today's professor was telling me some interesting things.  He said that the teachers and parents are very unhappy with Common Core, and that the government says it is not a mandate.  He said that because it is tied to funding, it is a mandate.  He was telling me that some parents have united, and are suing the government over Common Core.  I had not heard about that, but did know some teachers had united, and are refusing to do the standardized testing.  For so long teachers complained, but tried to follow the rules.  I am glad they are finally speaking out. The children who are not home schooled are suffering more than most people realize.

Oh, this professor is very big on whole brain teaching (TPR), and teaching with games, and he has been trying to get others to understand why Finish schools are so successful using games to teach (especially in the early years).  He says Common Core is moving us even further away from what the children need....no play in Common Core...not even in younger grades. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN