Homeschooling Moms

Leissaintexas
S/O What is your least favorite curriculum
May 17, 2013 at 11:57 AM

So the other post got me thinking, What curriculum has completely bombed in your house? Maybe I'm the only one who has changed things up so drastically LOL! I'll tell you, I have gone from work-booky, to Charlotte Mason, to unschooling, to textbooks, back to work books, and now have figured out what my kids learn best with, and its a mix of all of the above!  The ones that bombed the worst in my house were Heart of Dakota (love the idea of it, hate the actual reality of it) Mystery of History (coma inducing and not enough re-inforcement of ideas) and Horizons for math.  So tell me. What's your biggest curriculum fail? Maybe you'll save another family the trouble.

Replies

• wowguildmomma
    May 17, 2013 at 12:02 PM

for us it was the BJU Science and History for first and second grade. The kids hated it.

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    May 17, 2013 at 12:06 PM
    Bible was a bomb for us this year. I bought it from CBD. It was a good curriculum, it was geared more for 3rd grade than 1st though.
  • debramommyof4
    May 17, 2013 at 12:29 PM

My oldest hated Saxon Math.  I hated Saxon Math.  We also hate K12's science and history. 

• starbeck96
    May 17, 2013 at 12:29 PM

We also use different curriculums but Lifepac Science and Lifepac Math, for us, seems to be terrible.  We stuck through with the Lifepac Science, but i took one look at the Lifepac Math and sold it. 

We also do not like Abeka Grammar.  If my boys had been using it since Kindergarten it may have been okay, but since they came from public school and into 9th grade grammar, it was just too much.

• starbeck96
    May 17, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Quoting debramommyof4:

My oldest hated Saxon Math.  I hated Saxon Math.  We also hate K12's science and history. 

I was thinking about getting Saxon math (algebra 2) for my boys.  Can you tell me why your oldest hated it so much? 

Thank you.

• debramommyof4
    May 17, 2013 at 12:32 PM

We used it in kindergarten.  It was very dry.  She loves math but found it very boring. 

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting debramommyof4:

I was thinking about getting Saxon math (algebra 2) for my boys.  Can you tell me why your oldest hated it so much? 

Thank you.

• AutymsMommy
    May 17, 2013 at 12:36 PM

My daughter is older (almost 12) and used an upper level (grade 5) text a couple years ago. It was dry, boring, monotonous... and if appears that the author hates math. I mean, there was no effort to make it interesting.

Also, it's "algorithm heavy, conceptually weak", in my opinion.

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Thank you.

• starbeck96
    May 17, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Thank you.  I will probably look for something else then.  I am capable of teaching it myself, but I was really looking for a curriculum that taught it for me to help save me some time. 

What about teaching textbooks?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

My daughter is older (almost 12) and used an upper level (grade 5) text a couple years ago. It was dry, boring, monotonous... and if appears that the author hates math. I mean, there was no effort to make it interesting.

Also, it's "algorithm heavy, conceptually weak", in my opinion.

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Thank you.

• starbeck96
    May 17, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Thank you.  My boys do not like math, so I think this would not work for them.  We tried Abeka Algebra 1 but it just didn't work, they moved too fast.   We are using an older version of BJU and it seems to be working okay, but the only reason i could afford it is because I got it from someone who was able to purchase the DVDs since it was the old link versions.  I just can't afford to spend 400.00 on one subject..

Quoting debrammyof4:

We used it in kindergarten.  It was very dry.  She loves math but found it very boring. 

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Thank you.

• debramommyof4
    May 17, 2013 at 12:46 PM

It was also slow for her.  We only had it for half a year and she went through the entire book.  She did start disliking math at the time though.  We have got her love of math back up though.  Next year we are using Khan Academy.  I am really interested in Teaching text books but I can not afford it right this secound.

Quoting starbeck96:

Thank you.  My boys do not like math, so I think this would not work for them.  We tried Abeka Algebra 1 but it just didn't work, they moved too fast.   We are using an older version of BJU and it seems to be working okay, but the only reason i could afford it is because I got it from someone who was able to purchase the DVDs since it was the old link versions.  I just can't afford to spend 400.00 on one subject..

Quoting debrammyof4:

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Thank you.

Homeschooling Moms