Homeschooling Moms

No_Difference
I FINALLY found his weakness Muwahaha
May 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Sorry lol. I'm just excited. After knowing my little guy can read for so long, and him just telling me he can't without trying, and weeks to months of backing off and trying to sneak things in here and there, I have finally found the one thing that will get him to read.

My kindle!

I downloaded the Starfall app last night since Amazon was nice enough to gift the 500 coin thing they just started. I tried it out this morning. He asked to play on my Kindle, and I pulled up the app. He immediately went right into it. At first he didn't want to even try, but I told him if he didn't read, he'd break my kindle and then no one could use it (a little white lie doesn't hurt does it?) He pouted for a couple minutes, but then read everything for Zac the Rat. After finishing reading hisself, then he listened to the audio part to make sure he read it right, and he never touched the words for the app to tell them what they said - he sounded everything out :).

I'm so happy right now, I could do a jig lol. I told him too, if he kept this up every day, we'd get him a new game on his Leap Pad. He got so excited he tackle hugged me lol. FINALLY progress!!!

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    May 17, 2013 at 10:48 AM

awwww difference thats so neat!!!! yea for kindles!!!!

• Knightquester
    May 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM

clapping That's awesome!

It's always wonderful when you find that right approach to get them to learn.  I've heard so many awesome things about Starfall over the years, but it wasn't around when my children were younger and learning to read and do their basics.  Still I do suggest it to other parents with small ones.

Congrats :-)

• tuffymama
    May 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    Yay for mama ingenuity! And woohoo for kindle!
  • kmath
    by kmath
    May 18, 2013 at 7:16 PM

LOL, that is awesome!  It is always great to find the one thing that seems to inspire them.

• KickButtMama
    May 19, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Lol, this is why I love technology! My kids fraught when school work consisted of papers and books, but changing it up to computers, iPads, kindles, etc and I can't get them to Stp learning! 

• bether89
    May 19, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I am so glad that you found a way to get him interested.

• Bluecalm
    May 19, 2013 at 5:03 PM
    Yay!
  • mommy4lyf
    May 19, 2013 at 5:18 PM
    Cool!
  • No_Difference
    May 19, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Now making me dance even more, he's sounding out how to spell too and wrote a ...letter??? Not sure what this is lol. He made a treasure map, and X marks the spot on the part that he says, "I love you Harry Potter, Riley" (his spellings: I luv u Haree Potr, Riey) lol. He also wrote everything entirely backwards, including letters, so you would be able to read it fairly well in a mirror. I wish I knew which hand he wrote it with.... But still, a HUGE leap was made in 1 weekend :)

• coala
    by coala
    May 20, 2013 at 1:36 PM

YEAH!!!!!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts