Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Proud-young-mom
Neighbors
May 17, 2013 at 7:16 AM
So as i was coming home yesterday from taking my son to the park. 3 neighbors were talking. And i think about me. 1 said she doesnt send her kid to school. He home all day. Then other said well i see ppl coming there. (We Co-ed twice a week). And then the other said they teach him there. And one said well its not mandatary until age 6 to send your kid to school. And the last one said i sent my daughter straight to 1st grade. So maybe that is what she doing. My ds is 5. How have you ladies dealt with nosy neighbors? And why are they even talking about me.

Replies

• QueenCreole313
    May 17, 2013 at 8:28 AM
    People are nosey. I ignore mine. They don't pay your bills so I wouldn't worry about it.
  • pattigirl36
    May 17, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I have nosey neighbors also and if I could move I would but I own the house. I went away for 8 days 2 weeks ago and I have been separated from my husband on and off since Thanksgiving 2012...anyway he has been gone now for 2 months and when I went away he came around my house to do yard work (btw) I never asked him too or wanted him too. Now he has been trying to come back and I'm not hearing it. Anyway long story short ,I have a guy friend neighbor in my back yard that I have become friends with. He helps Me all the time with things I can't do myself and I help him sometimes, like wash, little things!!!so while he was there doing yard work the neighbors decided to get together and tell my husband my business, how I hang out with my friend all the time ,how we are always at each others houses and that he has a key to my house,yes we do and yes he does have a key to MY house, I work long hours and sometimes 13 hr days and he lets my dog out!!!! They also told him that he went with Me on vacation not that they even knew where I went but again none of they're business what I do!!! I was furious because My husband was so upset he called my poor daughter and told her that she lied to him and he was dead to her, but even if I had taken him on vacation ,I wouldn't have put her in the middle of that!!! little do my neighbors know he is a ticking time bomb and they were just lucky that enough time had gone bye so that he had enough time to calm down. He left Me 12 nasty voice mails threatening to kill this guy over Gossip!!! I hate neighbors sometimes.. I try not to let them get to Me, when I come home I don't even look they're way!!! Gladys Kravitz in my neighborhood lol...

• KickButtMama
    May 17, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Unless you hear something blatenly outlandish (like you're abusive or something) I'd just ignore it. Women are chatty and often gossip, don't let it bother you!

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    May 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    They are curious, and that's ok, as long as they aren't being ugly about it.
    My first thought was to put a sign out that says " we homeschool, does that answer your question." Just to let them know you overheard them lol.
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    May 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM

oh well, your doing something differnt, not the usual thing of sending your child off to school, so their gona talk about you! probably one of them would love to have the nerve to do that!

i dont care if neighbors talk about me, i'm still friendly to them, eventually i got to know them and they understand why i homeschool, etc

did you hear them talking about you??

• bluerooffarm
    May 17, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I don't care what my neighbors think unless they believe I'm abusive or negligent.  People are curious about things that are "different."  Not sending your child to a public or private school is most likely very different from what they are used to.  If I heard someone talking about me, I typically would walk up and say, "ask me anything."  I've had a lot of discussions start that way.

• KrissyKC
    May 17, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Do you know these neighbors?   All of my neighbors know me enough to at least know I home educate my kids.   Some of them think I'm crazy, but they are usually respectful about it.

• Leissaintexas
    May 17, 2013 at 12:06 PM

We've lived in our neighborhood since mine were babies, and we're all close and good friends so our neighbors knew from the beginning that they wouldn't be going to school.  I've actually had a couple of neighbors offer to help out, either with giving away  craft supplies they thought we might like to have, or old books or whatever.  One neighbor comments on how its nice to live in a neighborhood where the kids aren't ill-mannered brats. LOL!  I realize I'm probably in the minority, but I am blessed with some very sweet neighbors.

• wowguildmomma
    May 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM

We use to get alot of wierd looks in our neighbor hood when we first moved here a year and a half ago but most of our neighbors are grandparents and after a few questions usually if they saw us out on our daily walks they are content to just let us be the odd family down the street. However, it does make me happy to see when the kids go out to play the ladies will watch them smiling and will always comment on how well behaved and good mannered my kids are compared to those who ride thier bikes rampantly down the streets  running thru flower beds and knocking over trash bins.

• debramommyof4
    May 17, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I would just talk to them.  They are nosey and that is human nature.  They do not have to agree but it would help with the rumors.  My nieghbors that I see all know I homeschool.  I dont know what the ones think who I dont see often, but if they stop to talk they will find out we homeschool,

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN